The Explanation

Justin was waiting outside the school library. Leah was going to meet him there so he could explain about what was supposed to be their date.

"Hey," Leah said. "Should we sit inside to talk about it?"

Justin gave a simple nod and they headed inside. Leah was struggling to keep calm. She wanted to strangle him and force him to tell her what had happened. Somehow, Leah managed to keep calm.

"So," Leah said uneasily, "What was all that about?"

In her head she was thinking "AKA, why were you hanging out with some other girl on our date?" But she managed to push her thoughts away and listen to Justin's explanation.

" So, I was about to leave from the pizzeria to go pick you up-

"Wait," Leah interrupted, "Why were you even at the pizzeria?"

Justin replied casually, "My mom works there as a waitress, and I was helping out. Brittany suddenly appeared out of nowhere and she said she wanted to "talk". I had to be nice to her since her parents own the place." I'm also friends with her brother, Michael, who is the wide receiver on the football team. Brittany went on and on about this nonsense stuff."

"Just tell me the important stuff. What did you whisper in her ear right before I came to the booth?" Leah said impatiently.

Justin answered, "Well, Brittany's my ex and-

Leah said interrupted angrily, "She's your ex?!"

"Yeah, but it's over. Brittany still thinks there's something between us. That's why I whispered in her ear "It's over and I don't like you," Justin said, running his hand through his chocolate brown hair.

There was a moment of silence. Then Justin said, "I like you, Leah." Justin was telling the truth. At that very moment, everything clicked into place. Leah didn't know what to say. But she found her words and replied softly, "I like you too, Justin."

They leaned over to each other and kissed. Justin pushed back a golden lock of Leah's hair behind her ear.

"So, are we good now?" Justin said gently.

"Yes," Leah replied, just as quietly. They kissed again, this time, longer.