sixteen

i waited until the next day for gemma to go to work before i inquired about the box. "harry?" i say, looking at him across the small table.

he had his nose in a book and kept it there as we continued. "hm?" he hums. "what's really going on here." i ask him.

"what do ya mean?" he says in a monotone voice, keeping his eyes on the book. "as a witch." i start, making his eyes meet mine. "i get these dreams..." i continue.

"and i have a guardian witch to give me advice." i add. he stays silent. "but you already know that don't you?" i state. "...no..." he says quietly.

"what's in the box?" i ask plainly. "what box." he says, matching my tone. "the one under the bed. my guardian witch says it's the answer to my heartbreak. a bit weird isn't it? you having the answer?" i inquire.

h a r r y ' s
p o i n t
o f
v i e w

"they're just old photos. you're guardian witch... she's wrong. there's nothing in there that.... it's just wrong." i say.

it's true. the box was filled with the photos we took together, but since she took the potion, even if she looked at the pictures, she'd be missing from all of them, and she wouldn't recognize ever being there with me.

her looking at the photos wouldn't change anything, so even after we continued to argue about it, and i stormed out of the apartment, i left the box there.

as i storm out of the apartment her words replay in my ears. "harry, i'm missing a chunk of my life." she said.

"you remember laters baby... i only remember the saying, not the meaning. it has a meaning harry, and you know that meaning, so if you really don't want me opening that box i need you to tell me." she said, her eyes watering.

"i can't do that" i told her. "i can't i- i don't know what to do. this was never supposed to happen." i said, tripping over my tongue.

"do i know the witch that casted the protection spell on you? is that the big secret? is that why your being so cold?"

b e a ' s
p o i n t
o f
v i e w

after harry stormed out of the apartment i was left standing near the door with tears running down my cheeks.

as i turn to sit on the bed and further my sadness, i remember the box underneath it. i scurry over and fall to the floor, scrambling to pull it out and open it.

harry was right, it was a pile of photos. photos of him looking happier than i've ever seen him. they weren't regular pictures though.

he was awkwardly positioned. in a few he had his arms out like someone was supposed to be wrapped in them, but nobody was there.

in another his head was turned to the side and he was kissing someone, but that someone wasn't there... and i looked further and further it just got more and more confusing, until i looked back at the box.

it was empty just a moment ago, but now something laid at the bottom. a small glass bottle with a purple liquid in it found its way into my hands, and suddenly clarice was there, telling me what to do.

(547 words)