Boundaries

The start of another ethics course, great Haley thought. It's always the same information reiterated by a different professor. As if evening classes in summer wasn't bad enough, it looked like the the start of classes was going to be telling of how the semester would go. Haley got to class around 4 and waited for her friends Jennifer and Angie to arrive before finding a seat in the room. She had this professor before and knew she was in for an uneventful evening. They spent the evening discussing different types of boundaries: clear, rigid and diffuse/enmeshed boundaries. At this point, she could recite this in her sleep. The class anxiously awaited the 7 o'clock hour for a break before the start of their internship class. The second class was going to be with a female professor she had never seen or heard of before. Haley thought to herself, "If this professor is going to be boring, hopefully she'll at least be easy on the eyes." She had no idea what she was in for.

      Jennifer went to the break room upstairs to get a twix bar for each of them. Haley couldn't think of a better way to manage her anxiety than with a twix bar and mountain dew. She sat on the couch across from the classroom while her friends sat in the chairs diagonal from her. They chatted about how their day went and what their plans were for the upcoming weekend. It wasn't but two weeks prior that Haley told Jennifer and Angie that she felt comfortable enough to tell them she was a lesbian. She received more support than she had expected and even found herself talking with them about women she was interested in or was attracted to. She could see these two becoming some of her best friends and knew if she was to continue developing the friendship, she had to be honest with them about who she was. She had spent too long pretending and denying who she was in high school to continue on that path.

      In the distance, Haley heard the secretary talking. Donna was always greeting everyone by name as they walked into the building and it was something that always put a smile on her face. Haley was drawn out of a deep thought when Jennifer grabbed her by the arm and pulled her aside. "Holy shit I just saw our professor and now I'm questioning everything," said Jennifer. Haley didn't understand what she was talking about until her friend said, "Here she comes take a look for yourself." Haley took a seat on the couch again and tried to be as discrete as possible as the professor walked down the hall towards her. Too nervous to look, she saw her out of the corner of her eye. She was tall and was wearing black leggings that seemed to hug all the right places, but Haley had to look just to make sure her eyes weren't fooling her. She couldn't quite tell if her her heart skipped a beat, or if she stopped breathing, but it took everything she had to get her to take her eyes off Tess. She wore a blue button up that made her blue eyes stand out from the other end of the hall. She had brown hair with a hint of red and her light curls at the end of her hair fell just below her shoulders. She was older than Haley, but time had been kind to her and 40 never looked so beautiful. They locked eyes and Tess gave her a warm smile as she walked towards the classroom. Haley smiled back, but not without blushing and quickly breaking the eye contact. She continued to watch her until the door shut and she could no longer see her. Haley's thoughts were disrupted when she saw Jennifer quietly laughing from the chair. "I may have a girl crush, but I've never see you like this. It's like she swept you off your feet before you fell and landed on your ass," Jennifer snorted. She was right, Haley thought as she entered the room, she's your professor, be professional and remember what is always being emphasized in class. As Haley took her seat, she saw Tess laugh and heard her voice for the first time. She knew she was in trouble as she quietly said to herself, "boundaries."