Telling the Truth

Tess's POV--

My parents live a little over an hour away, but we were spending the fourth at the campground on the lake. As a little girl, Liz, Brandon, and I would spend our summers camping, swimming, and canoeing. We were all nature lovers and still are to this day. Since then, my brother has gotten married and has two kids with his wife. They live just over an hour south of where I live so I don't see them as often as I would like. Especially because my nice and nephew bring me so much joy. Liz has been with her partner for 6 years and lives twenty minutes away and sometimes I see too much of her. I may be the protective one, but she is the annoying one. She's always trying to get into my business because she thinks I never her tell anything and now she knows why. Since telling her it has brought us closer together and I couldn't be more grateful. Everyone was going to be together for the first time since Christmas. I had mixed feelings about this as we drove down the highway. They knew I was bringing a friend, but they didn't know just how friendly Haley and I became over the past few months. I was so lost in my thoughts I almost forgot she was next to me. She was staring at me with wondering eyes, but never put any more pressure on me. Instead, she put her hand under my hair and rubbed the back of my neck.

Liz and I agreed to have a signal when I was ready for her to take Haley away so I could talk to everyone, I just didn't know when that time could come. I stepped out of the car to greet everyone who had obviously been waiting on us. As Haley came around the other side of the car I could see their expressions shift. Liz and I exchanged looks. Haley was already an introvert and I was concerned she'd choke and not be able to speak. I couldn't have been more wrong. She introduced herself as my friend and warmed right up to them. Brandon gave me a sideways scowl. Uh oh. If it wasn't our relationship, it was for sure her age. My niece and nephew stood behind my sister-in-law. They've always been shy at introductions. Haley bent down and dug into her bag. "You two must be Owen and Emma I'm Haley. Aunt Tessa told me you guys like Mickey and Minnie mouse," Haley said in a soft voice. Emma, being a little older than Owen, carefully walked closer to her as her brother followed slowly behind. Haley pulled out a two kites, one for each of them. Owen was now in a full blown run towards Haley with his arms stretched out. Emma smiled and gently took the kite and smiled. My nephew being the goober he is couldn't stop himself in time and crashed right into her arms. He gave a playful smile showing a gap in his front tooth that he just lost. "Can we play with these now" my niece questioned as she looked at Haley. Seeing that everyone was just about to have lunch, she agreed to help both of them after lunch if they ate all their food and behaved. "Damn she'd be a good mom," I thought to myself.

Haley sat between my dad and Liz while I sat across the fire pit by my mom and Brandon. We sat around mostly discussing updates on how everyone has been and asking Haley about who she is. She was treading carefully as she spoke and I could practically she her wheels turning. She had the perfect answer to everything until my brother asked, "So where do you two know each other from?" Her face went white and then red. I was going to have to rescue her. "W-well," she stammered before I interrupted her stating, "She's a former student of mine. We met up to catch up some time after she graduated and I sort of took her under my wing to help her navigate being a new graduate. I teach her as much as she teaches me." Haley was giving me a devilish grin and I automatically knew she twisted my words and was thinking dirty things. I maintained my composure before Liz changed the subject. I saw both my body and Haley's body relax as it wasn't brought up again.

We were all playing football and walking by the water after dinner. The breeze had picked up and I felt my body shiver a little. I watched Haley walk in the water with the kids helping them find stones to skip. I felt someone lean in over my shoulder and whisper, "She's beautiful, but she's really young for you sis." Brandon. My heart fell to my feet realizing he knew my secret. I turned slowly on my heels, digging my toes into the sand. He must have sensed my fear as he gave me a crooked smile and put his hand on my shoulder. All I could say was, "She's 26, but once you get to know her, her soul is even older than me. Shit, she's like mom!" We laughed and he said sarcastically, "Just what we need, your girlfriend to be best friends with mom." We continued to laugh as my mom walked over and hugged me. "My sweet Tessa. I'm so proud of everything you've accomplished, but I have to know what has made you so happy. I've never seen you like this before." It was time. Liz walked over to Haley with the kites and helped the kids get them in the air. The four of them stood  in the water as the sun was setting and flew them as high as they could. I called them up to the campsite for a family meeting before taking one last look behind me before walking up. Brandon knew what was about to ensue and sat beside my holding my hand. Here goes nothing.

I was met with silence. Rebecca came over and stood in front of me holding her husband's other free hand since Brandon still had mine. "We love you no less and our kids already love her. I can only imagine how we'll feel as we get to know her like you do. She kissed my forehead and left the rest of the family to talk. Mom started to cry. I felt the tears swell in my eyes thinking how disappointed I've made her. "Is this why you've never been completely happy and why it never worked out with any guys you dated?" Tears were streaming down my face now. My dad stood up and paced back and forth by the fire and seemed to be in deep thought. "I'm s-sorry," I stammered. "I was trying to be strong for everyone and have everything all together. I'm the oldest and everyone looks up to me and I didn't want to let myself be with a woman, let alone one of my former students. I struggled with being attracted to her when she was in my class and when I got to know her after she had graduated, I fell in love with her heart. She doesn't act her age she actually likes the same stupid shows, music, and activities that you do." This made my mom laugh through her tears. My dad stopped, turned to face me and sighed. He just stood there looking at me and I could only imagined what he was thinking. He sat beside me on the bench and pulled me into a hug. "Brandon and I are starting to get outnumbered, kid. All my children keep bringing more women into this damn family, he mumbled before letting out a raspy laugh. Mom joined in and I couldn't control my emotions. They walked to the beach and left me to clean up before joining them. I wiped away the tears before turning to see both my parents extending their arms out towards Haley. They were actually hugging her and accepting everything. I jogged down as Brandon, Liz, Rebecca and the kids joined in. Seeing me approach the group hug, they spread apart enough for me to embrace Haley before they closed the gap again. She was the one crying now as I felt a salty tear reach her lips while I kissed her. The family just got bigger.