Chapter 6

It took a while for Lisa's mind to catch with her and she finally got off the swing and started to chase after Chaeyoung who was heading for the wooded area behind the park.

"Chaeyoung!" she called trying to squint through the darkness. The trees were blocking the moonlight so it was hard to see anything. "Chaeyoung, please don't be mad, I didn't mean that." Lisa heard Chaeyoung stop.

"I'm not mad," Chaeyoung said slightly peeved. "I'm annoyed."

Lisa bit her lip as she finally found Chaeyoung in a clearing. "I'm sorry."

"I just don't get you," Chaeyoung said frustrated and ran a hand through her hair. "You say you like me, yet you act like a complete an ass, and then you say that it's all a game?"

"No, no. That's not what I meant," Lisa said desperately. "I just meant that, I thought you liked me...trying that hard?" She had no idea how to say what she was feeling without annoying Chaeyoung further.

Chaeyoung raised an eyebrow and opened her mouth to speak and then closed it again. "What?"

Lisa let out a sigh. "Okay, I guess it's the arrogance in me but I honestly thought you liked me too and that you were just playing hard to get."

Chaeyoung didn't say anything and just stared at Lisa with an unreadable expression.

"Sometimes," Lisa continued. "When I would talk to you and I'll start to flirt, I see this like, little smile on your face. And I guess I thought that meant that you liked me and thought I was-"

"Funny?" Chaeyoung finished.

Lisa smiled a little. "Yeah."

"Well," Chaeyoung looked at the ground and started moving around some leaves and dirt with her foot. "Some of the things you would say were sweet and ridiculous at the same time."

"Sweet? You thought I was sweet?" Lisa said hopefully.

"At times," Chaeyoung clarified and the smile on Lisa's face faltered. "But then you would say something so incredibly pretentious I'd forget why I was smiling in the first place."

Lisa looked down. "I just don't know how to act in front of you."

"So acting like an arrogant toerag is your default?"

Lisa almost laughed at Chaeyoung's choice of words but stopped when she saw that Chaeyoung was not in the mood for joking. "I don't have to try so had with anyone else," she admitted. "With you, I feel like I need to step up a little and try to get a reaction from you. With any other girl, all I have to do is like compliment her outfit, and she'll go out with me."

"Well, I'm not just any other girl," Chaeyoung said a little offended she was being roped into Lisa's groupies.

"I know," Lisa said immediately and Chaeyoung looked up surprised. "That's why I like you so much. You're different. You're smart, you're pretty, you're witty, you're not afraid of speaking your mind and standing up for yourself." She looked at the ground again feeling a little embarrassed.

Chaeyoung blushed a little at Lisa's compliments and was thankful she was looking down. "You didn't have to try so hard," Chaeyoung said softly but Lisa heard every word.

Lisa just stared at her not quite sure of what to say. Thankfully, Jennie and Jisoo chose that moment to show up,

"There you guys are," Jisoo said when she spotted them. "We thought you left without us."

"Everything alright?" Jennie asked a little worried by the way that Chaeyoung and Lisa were staring at each other.

"Everything's fine," Chaeyoung said breaking their gaze. "Jen, I have to go home." She walked pass Lisa without looking at her and started heading out of the area.