Chapter Eleven

Y/n's pov

He sat up in shock not looking like he really comprehended what happened. You sat up as well and looked into Toby's wide eyes as he stared at your face. "T-Toby?" You stammered staring at his mouth. "Your face.." You muttered backing up slightly not really knowing what else to say. You examined the gash running from his mouth to his cheek as he stared back in shock.

Anxiety filled your chest as he quickly clasped a hand over his face feeling that his mouth guard wasn't there anymore. His eyes darted around frantically looking for it, you silently held your hand out to him, his mask resting in your palm.

He glared at you for a second before he growled under his breath and snatched it from your shaking hand. He reattached it to his face and turned to look at you. "Are yo-" you tried to ask but was quickly cut off. "Shut up." He snapped aggressively wrapping his arms around your body and pushing us down into a sleeping position.

"Shut u-up," he muttered again a little softer this time.

You didn't make any moves to stop him and let him lay on your chest. You attempted to keep your breathing calm but ultimately failed, as your mind kept yelling at you to get away from the unstable teen. He used his hand to rub small circles on your skin, an obvious attempt to make you calm down.

His body relaxed after a few minutes, the rhythmic inhale and exhale of his breaths helping you keep track of time. You stayed like this for a while before your eyes got heavy and it was an effort to keep them open. A small yawn escaped your lips and you let your eyes shut not really wanting to think about what might happen tomorrow any longer.

Sunlight shined in your eyes making you slowly open them and squint for a few seconds. Once you got your vision back my eyes landed on Toby. He still lay on your chest his arms wrapped around your body protectively. You put your hand on his hair trying to wake him. "Toby?" You mumbled shaking him slightly.

He groaned and twitched slightly. "What?" He slurred turning his body to look at you. "I want to get up." You said attempting to lightly push his head off your stomach.

He gripped your body tighter for a few seconds looking like he was contemplating his options. After minutes of negotiation you convinced him to get up and eat breakfast. Though he continued to eat with his back facing you and pulling his mask back up before turning to you.

Once we finished you were prepared to spend another day watching the news and maybe search around the house for a more thought out plan of escape. You stood up to go into the living room but wasn't prepared for Toby to lead you towards the front door. "Where are we going?" You asked confused as he continued walking.

He stopped at the front door before he paused, "I'm t-taking you to m-my 'work' today, I don't wa-want you to rot in here a-all day..." He said adjusting his goggles.

You frowned and opened your mouth to talk but he quickly pulled you outside. He had his hand on your wrist but it was clear he was making an attempt to not grip it too tight. He led you down the front steps and looked at the others slowly filtering out of their cabins and walking towards the abandoned school. A few walked to greet Toby but quickly stopped when they saw you by his side. Instead they took to looking at you two in shock.

You both continued walking and let people keep their distance. The cold air blew through your hair as you attempted to snuggle deeper into the black hoodie you borrowed from Toby.

You walked deeper down the dirt path listening to the wind blowing through the trees. It probably could have been relaxing, peaceful even; but this was anything but. Your body was stiff and the grip Toby had on your arm was the only thing keeping you from bolting. Your anxiety grew as you approached the front doors of the school.

Toby held the door open and ushered you inside. You slowly stepped in and you walked down the hallway, you subtly dragging your feet trying to slow him in any way.

He pulled you to a stop in front of the gym and Toby lead you into the crowd of about twenty or so people. As you both got closer you could feel the eyes of everyone bore into you. You kept your eyes down but that didn't help the anxiety coursing through you.

A loud laugh caught you off guard causing you to jump. "It's true!" They chortled in a deep voice, "I thought Boss was lying when he said Rogers kept 'em." They said as heavy footsteps approached you.

"I would just love to meet you Y/n."