Chapter Twenty

Y/n's pov

You twitched as you slowly started to gain consciousness. The first feeling that came to your numb body was the cold fingers that were placed delicately at your neck. Next were the sounds slowly becoming more clear. "Their heart rate seems healthy and their temperature is back to normal," someone stated lightly. "I'm not sure about the head wound yet though."

You opened your eyes slightly trying to avoid the numbing headache and blinding white light shining above you. The hand removed itself from your neck and a much warmer one grabbed yours. "E.J-" someone began before being cut off. "I know." They replied sharply.

"Y/n," a blurry figure spoke calmly. You rubbed your eyes and took another look. There stood two boys, the one hovering above your barely conscious body you vaguely remembered. He sported a blue mask with black goo running down from the eye holes and a black hoodie. The other seemed more familiar to your hazy mind, he had matted curly brown hair, tired eyes, and a fabric mouthguard with a smile like design.

"How are you feeling?" The man in the blue mask asked cautiously. "What?" You said not comprehending what was going on. "I'm sorry, who are you?" You tried to say softly working to be polite.

"Oh," The man with the mask spoke sadly looking at the male that still held your hand. He on the other hand seemed simply numb, his eyes glazed over and distant. "Y/n do you know where you are?" He spoke again his voice more level.

You glanced around what looked to be an old nurse's office confused. "No? Who are you?" You repeated while removing your hand from Toby's grip.

He let you do so and sat there simply not eating to comprehend that at the moment his worst fear had came true. He stood up pushing his chair backwards. While he was stormed into the bathroom, it gave you just enough time to catch a glimpse of what he held; two blood covered hatchets. "Toby it's not his fault-" E.J. attempted to reason before the door slammed behind him.

Toby's pov

I pressed my body against the door while raking my hands roughly through my hair. A string of mumbled 'no's escaped my shaking lips. I pushed off the door. Oh God what have I done? They can't forget me, right?  I asked myself as I numbly listened to the conversation ping ponging between the two. "He'll be back, he's just... overwhelmed." E.J. reassured.  "I'm Eyeless Jack but you call me Jack,"

"Called?" They questioned in a weak mutter. "Yes, we knew each other a little before your... change. My boss saved your life and fixed your injuries but sometimes they come at a cost... It happened to Toby too a while back too. I promise it'll get better with time." I whipped my head towards the door as anger bubbled up in my chest. He was out there comforting my angel while I was here sulking pathetically.

"What was the price?" They asked in a scratchy voice, most likely from the literal days they've been unconscious.

"Well my boss isn't normal, and healing people really isn't his specialty... He tried not to temper with your head but it seems his ability is just too much for your human body to handle. Especially in the healing process his power put you through." He went on while his voice got cold and flat.

Realizing I couldn't let E.J. ramble on for much longer before he says something both of us would regret. Taking a deep breath I stepped away from the sink and approached the door. I nodded slightly to myself and pushed open the door. Both their heads snapped towards me, E.J. seeming quite relieved and Y/n looking more cautious. "You probably would recognize Toby more though." E.J. said relief evident in his voice. "I think I'll step out to talk to our boss, you too can catch up." He said calmly collecting his things and heading to the door.

"Oh and Toby I'm sure you know you're way around the place, make sure they are fed before I get back." He continued right as he slammed the door behind him.

The sound rickashayed throughout the room making them visibly cringe. We locked eyes before awkwardly darting them different directions, "I'm Toby, b-but you've probably figured t-that out already." I said trying desperately and failing miserably at hiding my stuttering.

They nodded the slightest amount clearly uncomfortable. After a minute of thick silence I spoke up, "It's been about two days scince you last ate anything." I said not sure where I wanted the conversation to go. Walking around Jacks desk I picked through an old mini fridge, sifting past the organs in zip lock bags to the actual food. I produced a cold water bottle and slightly over ripe apple.

Approaching Y/n I took my original seat beside them and held both items out to them attempting to act welcoming and kind. With great hesitation they grabbed it with a shaky hand but immediately dropped it like it had combust into flames. Their body seemed to freeze and their eyes went blank. A look I've seen far too many times.