Chapter Sixteen

Y/n's pov

You yawned as Toby and Jack talked about the 'contestants' and who they deem worthy to be a proxy. You stood by Jack's side and shifted your weight waiting for them to finish. Toby's eyes flickered to you every few minutes holding your gaze before you caved and darted your eyes awkwardly away. On one of these occasions his eyes lingered on your face before he spoke up. "I think we sh-should start to head b-back." Toby said turning his attention towards Jack.

Your eyes widened and you looked over at Jack praying he would help. Jack nodded silently and looked sideways at you meeting your gaze. Toby grabbed your hand and pulled you towards the door not giving you a say in the matter.

You gave Jack one last pleading look as Toby lead you through the office door. "Have a nice night Y/n," he said softly before closing the door behind you.

You sighed and looked at the ground as Toby silently pulled you through the hallway and down a staircase. He paused as he reached the front doors. You looked up slightly meeting his gaze through the orange tint of his goggles. "What?" I said questioned impatiently.

Y-you don't have an-any shoes." He said looking down at your bare feet.

You mentally cursed yourself for forgetting all your dirty clothes and shoes in Jack's room. "I can go back to get them," you said quickly before Toby shook his head.

"We r-really shouldn't bo-bother him, I can get t-them in the m-morning." He said glancing outside before turning back smugly towards you. "I'll ju-just carry you for n-now."

"I can walk just-" you started to say before Toby swept your legs out from under you and caught your body mid flight.

You gasped and grabbed Toby's shoulder keeping yourself upright. You turned your body awkwardly trying to face him. You opened my mouth to speak but chose to bite your tongue and let Toby carry you as he walked the double doors and carried you outside.

The cool nighttime air blew against your exposed skin making you shiver. Toby looked down at your shaking form then back towards the path he was following. "Are y-you O.K?" He asked gently.

You scowled and wrapped your arms around yourself trying to generate some sort of heat. "Never better, I'm only getting carried through the woods by a murdering-psycho-who can't take a hint." You muttered turning your head away from him.

He didn't respond and kept walking down the deserted trail. You didn't look back at him until he reached his cabin's porch. He set you down lightly and unlocked the door. "I'll ma-make dinner." He murmured as he walked past you and into the house.

You stared in his general direction before deciding you didn't want to be anywhere he was. You turned your back to the door and sat down on the porch steps not caring if you were cold anymore. You looked up at the starry sky, the view being unobstructed by the trees that surrounded the clearing on every side. The shade they produced having a looming presence being a terrifying reminder to not step beyond those boundaries and give up whatever safety you might be granted here.

You put these thoughts aside and locked my gaze on the crescent moon and the stars surrounding it. A small smile spread across my face as you brought your knees up to my chest hugging them.

You stayed like this until you heard Toby call your name from inside. You jumped slightly but didn't make any move to alert him where you were; just figuring he'd notice you didn't come inside soon enough.

Your theory was confirmed as you heard the door get pushed open and someone walk up behind you. Toby set a bowl of soup next to you and sat down. Your eyes flickered from the night sky to Toby; his hair was matted and his hoodie did little to cover it, his eye bags seemed darker contrasting from his pale face, god he looked so... dead. He unlatched his mouth guard and pulled it off while placing his bowl in his lap. He glanced up meeting your eyes before you quickly averted them towards your bowl. You picked it up and ate slowly keeping your head down.

You both ate in silence letting the sounds of crickets and the wind in the trees fill it. You heard Toby set his empty bowl down on the old wood of the porch and sigh. You finished yours and set it next to his but refused to acknowledge Toby's presence. Your shoulders shook as the temperature dropped once again due to a cold wind. You shivered and pulled your knees to your chest while wrapping your arms around yourself. You could feel Toby's gaze land on you before he grabbed the bowls and stood up. He turned on his heel and walked back into the house not uttering a word to you.

You glanced over your shoulder at the open door watching as he walked away. Feeling more comfortable being alone you stretched your legs out and sighed. You yawned as you leaned your body against one of the posts on the stairs. You shook slightly as your skin made contact with the cold wood but tried to not pay any mind to it. You let your eyelids drift shut as you slipped in and out of sleep. You finally let yourself slip into oblivion as you heard the front door slam shut.