Chapter Thirteen

Y/n's pov

After minutes of waiting for Hoodie to give everyone the heads up for the seekers to start a girl with unnerving completely black eyes and porcelain skin passed around old looking walkie-talkies. She informed the group about how they worked and to sound them to alert the others when the first two hiders were found. "Their head start ends in a thirty seconds." Hoodie announced gaining everyone's attention.

The excitement grew as the group brandished their weapons and fiddled with the new devices. "Get ready, we can start in..." Hoodie paused looking at his wrist watch, "Three... Two... One!"

The group took off like bats out of hell, bolting in different directions towards the tree line. Toby grabbed your hand and dragged you with him into the dense forest. The sound of electronic ringing followed after us echoing through the woods. "Ready or not, here we come!" Hoodie cackled into his microphone, following the statement with manic laughter as you pushed myself faster attempting to keep up with Toby.

He didn't slow his pace as you headed down an old trail. Once he seemed to feel you both were a safe distance from everyone he released your hand while slowing down. He let you breathe a minute before leading you off the trail and into the woods. As you walked the air around us seemed to stop as heavy footsteps could be heard running at your left, not noticing our presence.

Toby quickly brought his walkie-talkie to his mouth guard and spoke in a rushed tone, "Is a-anyone else in the northwest se-section of the f-forest?" He asked keeping his eyes trained on the figure sprinting away from us.

There was a few lines of static followed by a few muffled 'no's. Toby perked up at this and faster than you could comprehend what that meant he had taken off after the figure. He unclipped a hatchet from his belt and threw it ahead of him towards whoever he was chasing, the sound of it whizzing through the air broke the tense atmosphere. A masculine scream echoed through the trees making Toby stop. "Don't move," he said glancing over at me.

You watched in horror as Toby retreated into the woods returning seconds later dragging a struggling teen with blood seeping out of his wounded leg. "Let go of me!" He hissed trying to pry Toby's hands from his hair.

Toby didn't react to his words and threw him down in front of me. "What are yo-" the teen started but was quickly cut off as Toby lay his foot on top of his wound and pressed all his weight on it.

You quickly recognized the boy as Max, the teen who gave me his jacket when you first arrived. He squeezed his mouth shut into a thin line, refraining from crying out in pain. "Toby stop!" You yelled kneeling down next to the teen.

Toby stared at you for a moment, he kept his foot where it was but shifted his weight off that leg. Your hands shook as you looked over his injury, "Y/n?" Max questioned weakly holding his hand out to me. Toby shook with rage behind you not believing this pathetic loser had the gall to talk to you, let along touch you. Toby caught your attention as he held out his hand, "Your p-pocket knife," he said in a monotone voice.

Your eyes widened and you fumbled with your hoodie trying to retrieve it. You reached out a shaky hand dropping it into his gloved one. Once it was in his grip he promptly grabbed your arm pulling you into a straddling position over the blood soaked teen. "Toby-" You yelped not understanding what he was doing.

He didn't respond and pushed the pocket knife into your hand. His hand enclosed tightly around yours, holding the weapon inches above Max's chest. You looked up meeting Toby's gaze as you slowly started to understand what he was going to do. He didn't respond as you looked down meeting the teen's fear stricken eyes. "Please," he mouthed staring up at you pleadingly.

"Toby don't make me do this." You begged glancing up at him. Under the orange tint of his goggles Toby's eyes were void of any emotion. "I'm doing th-this for y-you, not f-for me." He said lowly before pulling up your hands.

You fought to hold it there but Toby was stronger, he forced your hand back down driving the pocket knife into the Max's chest. He coughed up blood and tried to use his arms to defend himself. Toby seemed content with what damage you've done and released the hand holding the knife while holding the other in an attempt to be comforting. He used his free hand to rip the blade from the boys chest and drive it in again all the while holding you in place over the teens body. The attempts the teen put up were futile as Toby kept forcing the knife into his chest over and over.

Once Toby felt the boy was long gone he let go of the hand he was holding making you fall off the limp body. You sobbed and kicked your feet scooting away from the two, stopping when your back hit a tree. The dried leaves and dirt coating over your, now, blood soaked hoodie. You looked up as Toby kicked the body one last time for good measure.

Angry sobs shook your body making Toby redirected his attention to me, you buried your face in your arms as you sobbed, mumbling small 'why's and apologies to Max. Toby's footsteps approached you, dried sticks and leaves crunching under his shoes. He stopped in front of you and reached down pulling you up to your feet.

You attempted to pull away and put distance between you and the deranged killer. He caught on to this and pinned your arms above your head. He used his free hand to pull off his mouth guard and hold you closer against him. Once he accomplished this he engulfed your body in a tight hug clinging to you like toddler would their mother. Eventually he pulled away, his soft brown eyes seemed darker and had no traces of light left in them.

He smiled exposing his teeth and the gash on his cheek. You fought harder as you could feel the blood seeping from the fresh wounds caused from your arms scraping against the tree bark. He nuzzled his face into your neck, "Now yo-you're exactly like m-me," he murmured smiling into my skin.