Chapter Seventeen

Toby's pov

I shut the front door not caring if I left Y/n in the cold weather. "It's th-their fault for s-staying outside." I muttered reasoning with myself.

I walked up the stairs and to my room not in the mood to stay up any longer. I gently kicked open my bedroom door with my foot and sat down on my bed. My eyes scanned the room blankly before I gazed down at my scarred hands and started to chew at the skin, effectively creating new wounds. I felt empty and distant but didn't question it, this was normal, I reassured myself. My body convulsed suddenly making my body jerk awkwardly sideways.

My gaze wandered around the room as static filled my mind bringing dread and hatred along with it. Why did I get my hopes up, I thought I was getting better... I mentally cursed as I bit down harder on my now bleeding hand. After I wore myself out I let my arms fall back to my sides in defeat.

It grew louder as I stripped my pants and hoodie off leaving me in my black turtleneck and boxers. I laid down on my messy bed and stared up at the dark ceiling. The static rose in frequency as I sank deeper into my bed shaking slightly. I let the sound wash over me like I had hundreds of times before while letting my subconscious take control of my thoughts.

Old memories of my past that I couldn't recall ran through my mind. My body shot up seeing my bedroom door creek open. I clicked on my lamp but regretted it as soon as I got a clear view of what I was seeing. I stumbled backwards off my bed and onto the floor letting my body hit the floor with a hard thud. I could see her uneven steps drag closer to me under the bed. I stared up horrified as the girl stood over me; she looked like she just crawled out of a horror movie. Her blood coated a once white tank top and her body was bent in ways humans shouldn't be; all the while glass embedded itself in what was left of her rotting corpse.

Memories flashed in my head like a slideshow. "Lyra," I whispered looking up into her cloudy eyes. "Please, I-I-I'm sorry, I really a-am so-sorry." I stuttered as another wave of static hit me.

I gripped my head and closed my eyes trying to wipe my mind. "You're no-not real." I repeated to myself as I stood up and took small baby steps around her. She turned and faced me as I walked backwards towards my open room door. Once I reached it I pulled it shut and flipped the lock.

I bolted down the hall and stairs to the front door ripping it open letting it bang loudly against the wall. Y/n lay asleep on the porch steps making me sigh in relief as the static's frequency slowly started to decrease in pitch. My body subconsciously shivered as I could feel the wind blow harshly against my face but couldn't feel the cold temperature that should come with it. I wiped to tears that gathered in my eyes and knelt down and picked up Y/n's limp body while attempting to not wake them up. Once we were inside I set them down on the couch; figuring I wasn't going back to my room tonight.

I laid down on the floor and closed my eyes in an attempt to clear my chaotic mind. I turned on my side and faced Y/n. Why did I feel so at peace with them here, why do I let them have this control over me? I questioned as I ran my hands over my face letting my nails dig into my flesh in a futile attempt to feel something, anything besides the emotion Y/n made me feel. I looked over at them finding their hand dangling off the side of the couch. Without thinking I shakily reached out and grasped their hand tightly in mine.

After a few minutes of playing with their fingers I slowly placed their limp hand on my face and held it there. A small smile crept onto my face as I closed my eyes. The static in my head faded to the point where all I could hear was the faint sound of Y/n breathing as I fell into a dreamless sleep.

Y/n's pov

You squinted your eyes as rays of sunlight covered your face. Your hand shielded your face as you sunk deeper into the warmth surrounding you. Your body shot up suddenly as memories of last night flooded your mind. You looked around with blurred vision before realizing you was inside Toby's cabin with a thick wool blanket wrapped around your body in a sort of cocoon. Your eyebrows furrowed as you pieced together the scene around you. You sat up but your body felt heavier, your eyes flicked downwards to see a familiar thick metal chain that was placed around your ankle. Kicking the covers off your body you followed the chain to where it was bolted to the leg of the couch. Your gaze landed on the coffee table where three things lay; a book, a plate of cold eggs, and a piece of paper.

While you contemplated what to do you extended your arm and grabbed the paper first finding it to be a note. You scanned the messy writing finding it full of typos and random lines, most likely from his arm twitching.

"Sorry im not here when youll be wakeing up, my bos needed me to  come in for an amergency. But I made you eggs befor I left! I attached your cain to the couch but if your good today Ill take it off when i get home. I took the tv remot but went throuh your school records and old report cards and they said you liked to read so I left you a book if you got board. See you tonight Angel,

-Toby"