Friends

Alchemist Spirit Knight Lucina

Chapter Three- Friends

Lucina woke up to the shrill screeching of her alarm clock. She groaned; she'd be worthless at school that day, considering she'd stayed up for an hour trying to figure out how to deactivate her new superpowers. "Extinguish" had been the proper phrase, something she'd added to the notebook Morgan gave her. "It'll help you keep track of things before you forget them!" he'd explained. She had written down all she could remember the star telling her about her powers.

As she got ready, she noted the pendants on her bedside table. She took the indigo one she'd use the night before, placing it on her neck, and set out the rest on her bed. She took a pen and the notebook and attempted to figure out the name of each one.

Indigo=Time, she quickly jotted down. The others it'd managed to tell her before its death were Fire, Ice, Sky, Air, Metal, Magic, and something starting with an L. There were twelve pendants, or cores as the star had called them, in total, and she knew the names of seven of them. They were each different colors, so perhaps the names corresponded to the colors somehow? Time wasn't something she would have thought to be indigo, but it was an abstract concept, unlike the others which, save for magic, were things that usually had associated colors.

The grey one was most likely metal, so she jotted Grey=Metal? down. Though two of the pendants were red, the one tending a bit more towards orange seemed to be more fire-y, causing her to add Red-Orange=Fire? to her list. She would have thought Sky would be a pale blue and Ice a lighter one, but the only blues to be seen were a mid blue and a light blue-green.

A knock at her door made her contemplation turn to dust as she called "Come in!".

Morgan flung the door open and immediately launched into speech. "Okay, I was thinking about those power things, and I thought if Fire and Air were two of them, then Earth and Water probably are too," he suggested rapidly.

"Perhaps, but there are only two blue pendants and I already think Sky and Ice most likely occupy them," she stated.

"Maybe it's Ice instead of Water?"

She wrote Earth next to the other potential powers. "Okay, I still have nine powers to place. Any ideas?"

The eventually decided that Ice likely was the darker blue, while the blue-green was Sky. The golden pendant was designated as Earth, and they agreed that the white was likely air. Tentatively, they marked the purple as Magic, and the matter remained of what the remaining were. The L-word, they decided, was most likely Light, which they assigned to the yellow. Of the three remaining; green, dark red, and pink, green seemed easy to place as a plant power, and pink was possibly some sort of love or psychic power, so they were marked as Plant? and Love or Mind?, respectively.

"Okay, so what about the darker red?" Morgan asked.

Lucina stared at it for a moment. "I don't know. It kind of looks like blood, so maybe a mind control or death power?" she suggested.

"What would we call that? Mind again? Death?"

They stayed silent for a moment before Morgan gave a small giggle. "Y'know," he snickered. "It kind of looks like a giant pomegranate seed. We could always call it Pomegranate power."

Lucina rolled her eyes, but she glanced at the pendant once more. "Yeah, it does kind of look like pomegranate," she remarked, putting Pomegranate, Death, and Mind down as possible names for the final core.

Glancing at her clock once more, Lucina jumped, shoving the pendants into her pocket. "Crap," she hissed. "We've better run."

Hurdling down the stairs, Lucina ran into the kitchen. She grabbed a banana and wolfed it down while shoving a piece of bread in the toaster. Morgan hastily shoved cereal and milk into a bowl as Lucina ran back upstairs to put her papers into her schoolbag. The two finished their breakfast at breakneck speed before rushing out the door.