three

"Come on, Moony, Padfoot

"Come on, Moony, Padfoot. Snivellus!" James called out to the boy huddled beneath a tree.

Remus sighed. He wasn't sure why he didn't try to stop them. He had said before that he didn't think he was a good idea, but James and Sirius waved him off, ensuring him that the prank would do no harm.

Snape stood up and pointed his wand at them. He was breathing heavily, clearing wanting nothing to do with any of the Marauders.

"Expelliarmus!" James exclaimed.

Snape's wand was knocked out of his hand. A crowd had begun to form around them. In that crowd was Mercy, Amos, and Tyra. Amos had his arm around Tyra's waist. Mercy was watching the scene unfold, fidgeting with the hem of her skirt.

"Nice, James," said Sirius.

"Stop it," Lily commanded as James suspended him upside down in mid-air, exposing his dingy underwear.

"Right. Who wants to see him take off?" James asked.

"Surely, someone will stop him," muttered Mercy.

"Can't you pick on someone your own size?" Lily asked.

"I'd say Evans will," Amos replied quietly.

James looked at Lily. "Evans, if you agree to go on a date with me, I'll never harm him again."

"Are you mad, Potter?" Lily asked. "I will never go on a date with you! You are an arrogant, bullying toerag!"

"I don't want help from a filthy Mud-blood," said Snape.

Lily froze, then turned around and walked away. James glared at Snape, then spun him around in the air. Mercy couldn't see Snape's face clearly, but she was sure he would puke soon. Mercy weaved through the crowd and smacked James's wrist. Snape jerked forward because of that.

"Stop that," Mercy commanded. "He's done nothing wrong to you. Why must you hurt him?"

"He and his gang ridiculed you," Sirius retorted. "Why are you standing up for him?"

"Because no one deserves to be bullied, humiliated, or alone," she said. "No matter how mean they are."

Even while dizzy and close to puking, Snape, who was as humiliated as ever, managed to say, "I don't need help from someone who doesn't know how to love."

Sirius glared at Snape before using his own wand to pull down his pants all the way. Mercy moved her attention to Sirius and stared at him before walking away in the same direction Lily did.

She wasn't furious at Snape. Instead, she was ashamed of who she was because of rumors.