seventeen

Sirius only died when the Second Wizarding War was at its peak

Sirius only died when the Second Wizarding War was at its peak. He wished he could have at least died during the actual battle, but he was happy that he saved Harry for as long as he could.

Sirius never thought much about life after death, but he wasn't expecting it to be so nice. There was a road with flower petals scattered around it. There were beautiful trees and flower bushes. There were others who had died as well, but they were smiling and laughing.

However, there was one portal at the back. No one went near it.

"That's the portal to reincarnation. When you're ready to be reborn, you go through it."

Sirius turned around and nearly cried. "J-James?"

James smiled. "Hey, Padfoot. I was wondering when you'd get here."

Lily smacked him. "James, that is so rude."

"Lily?"

She smiled. "Hello, Sirius. It's a shame you had to join us this soon, but I'm thankful you watched over Harry for as long as you did."

Sirius opened his mouth to say something, but James cut him off.

"There's someone waiting for you."

"Who?" Sirius asked.

"Walk ahead of the path and you'll see."

Sirius walked further ahead of the path until he saw a woman in the middle of it.

"Mercy?"

She happily smiled at him. "Hello, Sirius. Did you miss me?"

He ran forward and hugged her around the waist, lifting her up into the air. She laughed and put her hands on his shoulders. Once he set her down, she immediately kissed him.

"Mercy, what - what is this place?"

"It's the afterlife, love. We're dead, but everyone enjoys our dead-life here. When we're ready to get reincarnated, we go through the portal," she explained. "And we can watch people who are still alive. This may sound creepy, but I've been watching you, Sirius. I'm sorry you were sent to Azkaban."

"Sorry? It wasn't your fault. It was Peter. He - "

"I know, Sirius."

"Will he pass by here?" he asked.

Mercy cleared her throat. "No, he will go somewhere far worse."