four

Word spread about Mercy standing up for Snape

Word spread about Mercy standing up for Snape. People who weren't in Slytherin found it suiting because she was someone incapable of love. Lily had heard of what she did for someone who used to be her friend. She didn't want to associate herself with Snape anymore, but she still thanked Mercy mentally for doing the right thing.

Mercy looked down at her feet as she walked to the Great Hall. People were still whispering about her. She was uncomfortable and always felt like crying. Her only friend was Tyra, but Amos was pulling her away to his side instead. He wasn't doing it to hurt Mercy. He simply loved Tyra and didn't want her to to get hurt by being around Mercy.

She stopped before the entrance of the Great Hall, then decided to turn back and walk back to the common room. She didn't want to face those people. She didn't feel like eating. No one ever felt like eating while sad.

The tears were falling before she could even comprehend that they were. She sniffled and hastily wiped them away with the back of her hand, but they kept falling. She started to use both of her hands to wipe the tears away, but she just couldn't stop.

She never had a happy life. Because her mother tried to murder a Muggle, she was sent to Azkaban. Her father had bite marks on his leg and neck, but he survived. The Ministry Obliviated him of the incident and told him a wolf had attacked him.

Mercy was left in the care of her father, but he didn't want her, so she was given to her father's mother. All was well with her grandmother. She was kind and loving, but when Mercy was ten, her grandmother died, and with her father not wanting anything to do with her, she was sent to an orphanage.

Mercy hiccuped and sobbed as she started to run farther from the hall. She stopped in a deserted corridor, then sunk into a corner she found. She brought her knees to her chest and buried her face into them.

A finger tapped on the top of her head. She looked up to see Lily. Mercy sniffled and looked at her. Lily held out a handkerchief. Mercy took it and dabbed her nose and eyes.

"Thank you."

Lily smiled. "No problem. Let's go to dinner, together?" She held out her hand.

Mercy grabbed her hand, allowing Lily to pull her up. Lily linked arms with Mercy as they walked back to the Great Hall together. People stopped eating to look at them in shock. Mercy sunk back in shame and embarrassment, but Lily pulled her forward.

"Chin up," Lily told her. "There is absolutely nothing wrong with you. Don't listen to what they say. It's a load of rubbish."

"But it's true," said Mercy. "I am incapable of love, aren't I? That's why no one wants to love me - because I'm too broken."

"Hey, do not listen to them. Have more confidence in yourself. You are not incapable of love, but if you keep having that attitude, no one will want to talk to you or be your friend. Go to your table and eat, okay? I'll meet up with you after dinner. Never give in to the false words you hear," commanded Lily.

Mercy nodded, sniffling. "Thank you, Lily."

Lily smiled at her. "There's nothing to thank me for, Mercy."

The two went to their respective tables. Lily sat next to Marlene McKinnon, Emmeline Vance, and Dorcas Meadowes.

"Why were you talking to Mercy Apón of all people?" Emmeline asked.

"She's a good person, Em," said Lily. "Don't listen to those rubbish rumors without knowing the whole story or person."

"Is it true her mother...?" asked Marlene.

Lily nodded. "She doesn't deny it, so it must be true, but it doesn't matter. Being born under the influence of Amortentia doesn't mean she's a horrible person. I'll even let you meet her after dinner."

"Is it supposed to be our pleasure?" asked Emmeline, raising an eyebrow.

Dorcas smacked her shoulder. "Don't be rude." She turned to Lily. "We'd love to meet her. I'm sure she's lovely since you seem to have great taste in people, Lily, unlike someone I know," she pointedly said, looking at Emmeline who ignored her.