seven

"Looks like fun over here," Rosier said, placing his hands on Mercy's shoulders

"Looks like fun over here," Rosier said, placing his hands on Mercy's shoulders. He leaned in, whispering, "Let's have some of our own fun together."

Mercy tensed before backing away and glaring at him. "You're absolutely disgusting."

He squeezed one of her shoulders. "Now, now, let's not say things we'll regret later."

Emmeline got off the ground and glared at him, taking out her wand. "Hands off, Rosier, or I'll hex you. I've been practicing too."

His nostrils flared before he let go of Mercy's shoulders. Mercy scooted closer to Emmeline, who looked ready to send Rosier to St. Mungo's.

"Do we have a problem here?" Sirius asked as he stood in front of Mercy, shielding her from Rosier.

"Yeah, there is a problem, Black," Rosier said.

"Now, now," Crouch said, "we can all be civilized, now, can't we?"

"Shut your mouth," James spat out. "Everyone knows not to trust you and your dirty mouth. I should really wash your mouth with soap," he threatened, pulling out his wand.

Lily put her hand over his wand and pushed it back down, giving James a warning look, but he didn't like that one bit.

"Need your Mud-blood girlfriend to protect you, Potter?" Malfoy asked.

"Need your ugly mother to kiss you when no one else will?" James asked.

Malfoy glared at James before looking at Mercy, who was peeking out from behind Sirius.

"Why don't you ask Apón? She seems to know a lot about mothers."

Mercy looked down in shame before running away, ignoring her friends' worried shouts. Sirius stepped closer to Malfoy and grabbed his collar harshly.

"You watch out, Malfoy. I'm coming for you and you'll never know when," Sirius threatened, letting go of his collar before walking in the direction Mercy ran.

She was sobbing, fists wiping her tears away. She was in the middle of an empty corridor, sitting on a ledge in the wall. Sirius sighed and sat down next to her, holding a handkerchief out. She sniffled and looked at it before looking at him.

"Why do you care?" she asked, turning away.

"Because I don't believe in rumors. I believe in what I see and I see a lonely girl."

Mercy glared at him, her bottom lip quivering. "I'm not - I'm not lonely."

He leaned in, whispering, "From one lonely person to another, I think I know a lonely person when I see one, and I think I know how to tell when someone is really insane. You're not crazy, Apón. You're just lonely."

She stared at him through tear-filled eyes before crying again. Sirius was thoroughly confused as he tried to calm her down.

"Um - Did I do something? Should I get Lily? I don't know what you want!"

She chuckled, wiping her tears away. "No, it's just... No one's ever said something like that to me before. The girls are very good friends of mine, but they're not... They're not you, Black. They're my friends so they have to say nice things - especially to someone as emotional and sad like me."

"Well, I happen to not listen to rumors. I trust what I see, and I see a lonely girl who just needs someone to listen to her."

"Are you going to be that person?" she asked, looking at him curiously.

"I can be. It doesn't seem like it, but I'm actually quite a good listener. I give out great advice as well," Sirius boasted.

Mercy rolled her eyes. "Now you're just boosting your own ego, Black."

He smirked. "I'm sure you'll help boost it even more."

She narrowed her eyes at him. "I don't know what you're getting at, Black, but I want nothing to do with it."

Truth be told, if he meant what she thought he meant, then she definitely wanted a part of it. Of course, she would never tell him that or he would laugh at her and cease all communication with her.

He grinned. "I'm not implying anything at all, Apón."