fourteen

"Oh - can you believe Lily might

"Oh - can you believe Lily might... Next week..."

Sirius nodded, deep in thought. "If... If her child really is born next week on... The prophecy..."

"What if her child's the child in the prophecy? What if it's Alice's child? I don't want either child to go through... This is horrible," Mercy whispered.

Sirius shushed her, hugging her to calm her down. "It'll be all right."

"No, it won't."

"It will be, Miss Apón, Mr. Black."

The two turned around. Dumbledore was standing in the doorway, a tight-lipped smile on his face.

"Dumbledore, what can we do for you?" Mercy asked.

"We can keep Lily, James, Alice, and Frank safe with a Fidelius Charm. It is an immensely complex spell that involves the magical concealment of a secret inside a single, living soul. The information is hidden inside the chosen person, or Secret-Keeper, and is henceforth impossible to find - unless the Secret-Keeper chooses to divulge it. As long as the Secret-Keeper refuses to speak, they will be safe," explained Dumbledore.

"So, we only need a person?" Mercy asked.

Dumbledore nodded. "That is correct."

"I'll do it," Sirius volunteered.

"Are you sure, Mr. Black? I can also be the Secret-Keeper. I assure you, Voldemort will have a much harder time catching up to me than he would you," said Dumbledore.

Mercy pleadingly looked at Sirius. "Sirius, Dumbledore's right. I know you love James, but he might be the right choice."

"I'll do it," he repeated. "I will keep the secret of their location. I would never rat them out, even if my life depended on it."

Dumbledore nodded. "Of course, Mr. Black, very well because your life, as well as the Potters and Longbottoms' lives, really do depend on if you are able to keep a secret or not."