Friends in Need

Frank Hardy quickly closed his locker door. He was eager to get home. His father, Fenton Hardy, the world-renowned detective, was expected back from his latest case, and Frank and his brother Joe were itching to hear the details. The two had always wanted to follow in their father's footsteps. As such, they would listen to their father's cases with rapt attention, eager to pick up on his techniques. He quickly turned around, and paused.

"Hey Hardknock, finished with that girl book yet?" said Adam Mason with a sly smirk. His posse oohed.

"Would you tell your mother that?" said Frank, doing his best to keep his cool. Richard Mason had been a rival of Fenton Hardy's since their years in the police academy, and he passed it on to his boys. The older, dirty blond Adam naturally began to pick on Frank, while the younger, fiery-haired, and fiery-tempered, Greg would lock horns with Joe on almost a daily basis.

Adam raised his eyebrow. "What?"

"Really, Adam, you're making it sound like anything made by girls is worthless. Funny thing is, we have mothers. We wouldn't be here without them. Guess we're worthless too," said Frank with a shrug.

"That, that ... that wasn't what I meant!"

A loud snort interrupted them. They glanced down the hall. There stood Joe with the Hardy's friends. Joe had his right hand clamped on his mouth, but his eyes were laughing. He used his left hand to give Frank a thumbs up.

"Trying to cause trouble again, Mr. Mason?" came Principal Stevenson's stern voice as he stepped between Frank and Adam. He placed his hands on his hips and glared at the Mason crew.

"N-no sir," stammered Adam, "we were, we were just having a little discussion before the weekend."

"I see. Well, the weekend has begun, ladies and gentlemen, I suggest you leave now and enjoy it." Principal Stevenson gave them a withering look. They all left the scene, each heading home. "Mr. Hardy, a word."

Frank winced, but he turned to Mr. Stevenson with a pleasant smile. "Yes sir?"

"I understand that it's hard for you to avoid the biting tongue of Mr. Mason, just like your brother finds it hard to avoid his brother's fists, but do you have any ideas how we can keep the four of you apart?"

Frank shrugged. "Avoiding them like the plague doesn't work, they seek us out." He paused and thought a moment. "But maybe a competition might help a bit."

"I said keep you apart, Mr. Hardy, not get you even closer together. Beesides, we've done that dozens of times already!"

"But it's helped keep us apart for a while, right?"

Principal Stevenson sighed. "That is true. Alright, I'll see if I can't come up with something that will keep the four of you apart till the end of the school year. I hope. Good day, Mr. Hardy."

"Good day, Mr. Stevenson. Have a good weekend!"

Principal Stevenson scoffed as he walked away. Frank heaved a sigh of relief as he walked towards the front of the school. He quickly joined his brother by their motorbikes.

"So, what did Mr. Stevenson have to say?" said Joe. Frank looked past Joe. Joe looked at what Frank was looking at. The Masons were nearby, watching intently. Joe glanced back at Frank and nodded.

"Well," said Chet Morton, the boys' closest friend, "I'm going to drop Tony, Phil, and Biff off at their homes." He pointed at his prize car, the yellow jalopy he lovingly called Queen, where their three friends were waiting. "Want me to drop by later?"