Slim Beginnings

"Mr. Applegate, please, there is no evidence that points specifically to Mr. Robinson being the thief," said Chief Collig. "I need more than your suspicions to arrest him."

"It's taken less than that to arrest other people," mumbled Mr. Applegate.

"And those other people you are referring to, if we are thinking of the same people, were proven to be innocent and had to suffer needlessly for a crime they didn't commit. No, Mr. Applegate, I try to follow the system."

Mr. Applegate scoffed. "Some system."

"A system that says innocent until proven guilty, not guilty until proven innocent," said Frank cooly.

"Frank," warned Mr. Hardy, but it got the attention of Mr. Applegate and Chief Collig.

"Ah, it's the Hardys! So glad you could come!" said Chief Collig. He then mouthed the word "help" before turning to Mr. Applegate as the elder gentleman spoke.

"Fine, if you won't arrest Henry, then I'll hire Fenton Hardy to take a look at the clues and have to tell you that he did!"

"I'm afraid I'm not available for hire," said Fenton, "I am currently working on a case. But I can take a quick look at the clues and tell you my professional opinion. If you require further services, you'll have to talk to my boys. They are trying to find their friend's car, but I'm sure they can handle both cases."

Joe gasped. "What? But . . ."

"We'll talk more at home, Joe," said Fenton firmly.

Joe wanted to say something else, but hearing that tone of voice from his father made him snap his mouth shut. That tone meant his father meant every word, they would talk about the case at home.

"Well," said Frank thoughtfully, "we are chasing a thief."

"A professional thief at that," said Joe.

Frank glanced at Mr. Applegate. "When did you notice that the money was gone?"

"Chief Collig already asked me that!"

"Do you want them to solve this case or not?" said Chief Collig.

Mr. Applegate sighed before motioning them to follow him. They followed him into the next room, which looked to be an office of sorts.

"Dad!" cried out Slim as he rushed towards his father who was sitting in an armchair with a policeman standing next to him.

Henry shot his son a weak smile. "What's up, Slim? Did you have a question on your homework?"

Slim pursed his lips. "Yeah, how could anyone suspect a man they know is innocent of committing a crime?"

Henry's eyes narrowed. "Slim, save that question for another time."

"Yes sir," said Slim, but there was still fire raging in his eyes.

Hurd scoffed. "Like father like son. Chief, I don't want these two in here. If you're not going to arrest him, then get him off my property."

"But . . ." began Slim. He paused when his father laid a gentle, but trembling hand on his son's shoulder.

"Let it go, Slim, let it go." He turned and GLanced firmly at Hurd. "I guess I shall leave now. I'll be back in the morning for my things."

"Think you'll tell your special friends, the Hardys, how you came by that nine hundred dollars?" spat out Hurd.

Henry glanced between him and the Hardys. "As I told you and the sheriff, I am not at liberty to say. I wish I did have the liberty, otherwise, this whole thing could have gone differently."