Chapter Twenty-Three

The next day came, and that was how Midoriya found himself standing in front of a house that could be considered really nice if only it wasn't so neglected.

It had a small yard, one that was typical of most Japanese homes, but despite it's smallness it was in desperate need of attention. The door was in poor condition, it looked as though a normal person could knock it down with a flick of their finger.

I was going to use Midoriya as my example, but then I realized, Midoriya could knock any door down with his finger, so I had to change it.

The windows were so grimy that whoever lived there did not even need curtains to prevent people from looking in. There were concrete steps that lead up to the house, but Izuku was genuinely afraid of stepping on them for fear of breaking his neck.

The house was two stories tall, yet somehow, it seemed shorter, almost as though it was sagging. It was as though it's years of neglect had made the home depressed. If you were to compare this home to the other houses surrounding it in the neighborhood, it was basically a shack.

The young villain crept up the steps carefully, fearing for his life and avoiding the many cracks on the stairs. They looked similar to veins crawling up through a person's skin. Izuku rang the bell; it did not work.

Of course it didn't. Just his luck.

Midoriya was simply standing on the steps, deliberating how to knock on the door without opening it when he was shocked out of his wits. The door was slung open much more forcefully that it should have been, in all honesty, and revealed a man.

The man appeared to be in his late 80's and early 90's. He was pretty tall for someone his age, probably somewhere around 6'2. He was very nearly bald except for a section at the bottom of his head in the back that was the shape of an upside down moon crescent. His hair was greyed with age, or at least, what was left with it. In his left hand, he held a walking cane which he was leaning on quite dependently. The man had wrinkles all over his face, and it almost looked as though each one told a story, and that all together they combined to map out this man's life; his very existence. His dark brown skin had sallowed and paled with age, leaving the man with a pallid complexion.

What struck Izuku the most was the sadness in this man's eyes. It was easy to tell that this man had fought battles; that this man had suffered.

"What are you just standing around for, huh?" The man's voice was gravelly and deep. "You're Inko's friend, yeah? Well, grab the lawn mower and get to work."

Then the door shut.

Right in Midoriya's face.

If I were to compare my personal experiences in greeting people, I would have to say, that was a rather smooth introduction.

Apparently, Izuku did not agree.

••••••••••••••••••••

With the use of One for All, Izuku finished mowing the lawn in under one minute. It was after all, a small lawn.

Izuku had made a decision. When Todoroki had taken him in, he had decided to turn his life around. It took some time, obviously, but when he came to his senses, the young villain realized he didn't want to live the rest of his life cowering in fear and hiding, committing crimes under the cover of the dark.

He wanted to be a hero.

Now, Izuku was well aware that this was probably no longer an option that was available to him. However, that didn't mean he couldn't strive to be the best person he could be, and to try and help others. If anything, he should at least do what he could to repair the damage he had done to Japan.

If that meant he needed to force himself into this old man's life, then so be it. The guy obviously needed a friend.

Trust me, if there is anyone who is good at forcing people to be friends, even when those people don't want to, it's Izuku Midoriya.

With these thoughts in mind and his resolve as strong as it could be, Izuku marched up to the old man's door and knocked.