Chapter 17

Alice

We sneaked the pets out one by one, Daniel carried them and jumped out the window.

When about 7 of them were out, another guard burst in, I killed him pretty quickly, guess he too was created by the indirect venom method.

Daniel took out the rest and carried me last.

I felt butterflies in my stomach again when he picked me up.

We ran out of the castle premises, Daniel carried a half unconscious pet on his back and another in his arms.

I could easily carry one of them too.
The others ran behind us. They were too slow due to exhaustion and hunger.

Mary had insisted on carrying a huge black box with her which she took from the Lord's huge closet, I didn't bother to ask what it was.

I was surprised she was able to carry it, considering the size of it.

We reached the ruined fort which was hidden in the middle of a thick rainforest. We had to take out another guard on the way, but none of this instigated an uproar, which was good.

Once we reached, they cleaned themselves in the stream behind the fort. I kept guard where the girls bathed while Daniel kept guard at the other side which was hidden by rocks.

I distributed my clothes to them. Daniel gave his  to the boys.

I was stuffing my remaining clothes into a bag when Mary approached me with the black box.

" Hey Myra, I wanted to give you this."
She said.

I took it from her " What is it?" I asked.

She smiled for the first time since I saw her, dimples flashing across her cheeks. " See for yourself Myra, Carlos took it out from the castle and presented it to the Lord. But it's rightfully yours."

I opened it, what I found inside made me gasp in surprise. The box fell onto the floor with a loud thud.

Daniel was by my side in a second. "What happened?" he asked.

I shook my head and picked the box from the floor. Inside was my most priced cloak which the King had given me when I saved Stephenie's life from a bull.

This cloak brought back memories. I remembered the pride in my dying father's eyes when I showed it to him.

There were more things inside.
A variety of the black t-shirts and jeans which Stephenie had given me sat inside it. Even though I had to wear an armor all the time, Stephenie, who knew my favourite colour, had bought me this saying I could wear it when she became Queen. My black boots too were inside it.

There was also the Silver feather brooch inside which the Queen had given me on the day I was declared Stephenie's guardian .

Also, inside were the letters father had written to me when he was at war. The yellowed pages were filled with his love and tears.

This box contained all the love my family had given me.

I smiled in the midst of my tears, of course I would give them something back, I would avenge the Queen and Stephenie's death.

Daniel gave me a reassuring smile and said "Wear them, we'll wait outside."

I nodded, Mary smiled and went out, still giving Daniel dirty looks.

I peered into the box, took out one of the black tops and paired it with a pair of black jeans.
I put on the cloak on my shoulders and adjusted the hood on my head, letting my hair free. I pinned the beautiful brooch onto my chest.

I think these black clothes made me feel at home, these were the clothes that I would always wear from now on.

I stepped out, Daniel was shuffling through the journal when he turned to look at me. His mouth gaped open and the heavy book fell from his hands, landing on William's foot.

" Ow.. Ow... " William said, jumping and holding his foot. Daniel started apologizing frantically. I laughed at them.

I think I have a family again now....

***************

I was gazing at the star filled sky when Daniel came over and sat beside me.

" Where are the others? " I asked.

" They asked me to lock them up in a room, they will all turn into vampires tomorrow at daybreak.  He whispered back.

I bit my lip and asked " Will they be alright?"

He nodded " Yes they'll be alright, I'll have to take them to hunt tomorrow morning. They didn't want to risk hurting you."

"I'll be safe. "  I said.

He rolled his eyes.

"  Whatever. "

*************************

I hit a century!!!!!

I've got 108 reads now!!!!

Thank you!!!!!

😍😍😍😍