E P I L O G U E

I stared at the crowd around me. I was in Vegas . People all around me were either drunk or buying stuff for tomorrow, Christmas eve.

The streets were glittering with snow and X-Mas lights. I could hear carols from the nearby church. Such beautiful harmonisation.

A century had passed.

I was immortal now, a vampire. A vampire who feeds from rapists, murderers and other dreadful criminals. There are so many, I wouldn't exhaust them.

A hundred years ago, the big battle had taken place in which I killed Carlos.

But little did I know that the entire vampire population was also swiped out. They all had joined Carlos's army, in order to save their pride, but ended up being killed.

A hundred years later, that story has become a grandma's tale, a myth, a legend. The fact that humans were taken in as pets is just a story now .  Vampires are a myth now. Some  vampires are still there,  hiding, keeping away from humans altogether or playing along like me. I met Mary once, she lives in the Amazon now, planning her eternal life there.

I have roamed the entire world, searching and waiting for Daniel.

I know he will be back, I've read about the prophecy in books and other folk stories. It said that the mate would come back only if the bond was that strong.

I didn't have to doubt that fact.

The street was filled with people in expensive faux fur coats. Two girls with excess make up stared at me, noses scrunched as if I smelled bad.

I tightened my arms around me. Even though I never felt the cold, I had to wear knee length coats, boots and scarves in the winter.

Men all around stopped and gawked at me. Of course, being a vampire did have its advantages.

One of them, hot in human looks, came up to me and asked if I was lost. He said it wasn't safe for me to be out alone late at night. He said he would drop me home.

Of course I knew what he actually wanted. I politely declined . Daniel was my only love. I would make love only to him.

I started walking again and was stopped by a beautiful scent. I had never smelled anything like it before, though it seemed familiar.

I turned to find his beautiful face staring at me. Expression soft, happy and relieved.

We kept staring at each other, faces illuminating due to the streetlights. It seemed as if we were all alone now, staring at each other.

My Daniel was back! I found him after all these years.

I raced towards him, careful not to expose myself to the hundreds of humans who were watching.

I threw myself into his open arms and he hugged me back, cradling me, not speaking a thing. He didn't have to, I could feel the love ooze out of him.

He was so beautiful, I never had understood his true beauty with my human eyes. He looked exquisite.

"I waited so long for you! " he said.

" I did too. I'm so happy, I would be crying if I could. Why did you take so long.? "

He buried his face in my hair and smiled. "I searched the entire world and here you are... I'll keep you close to my heart now."

I could sense the disapproving stares all around us. Girls were jealous of me, while boys were jealous of him.

I do not know how long we stood there, hugging each other, but I knew we would never leave each other  again.

And then for the first time, both of us said the same thing to each other that we had always wanted to hear.

"I love you. "

***********THE END**********