1 | expendable

2 years later

"Prisoner, up!" The guard shouted. Jovie rolled her eyes as she ignored him, continuing to lay on her side as she stared at the wall. She was known for giving the guards a hard time and eventually they had enough and put her in solitary confinement, especially after what happened in her Earth Skills class. She tried to pretend like it didn't bother her being alone in the dark, cold cell, but she missed her old cell mate. Ironically enough, they had put her with another second born child, Octavia Blake. The two girls bonded quickly, despite the circumstances. It probably had to do with all their similarities in their misfortunate lives.

"Screw you," she snapped.

"Why does it always have to be this way with you, Murphy?" She heard the guard grumble before a needle was injected into the back of her neck. She tried to jump up, realizing her mistake of resisting, but it was too late. The room went black as her body fell numb.

It wasn't the rattling of the dropship that woke Jovie up, but rather a finger being poked into her cheek. She groaned as she slowly opened her eyes.

"Hey, you okay?" An unfamiliar voice filled her ears. Her eyes widened as she took in her surroundings. She was on some kind of ship with a ton of other teenagers. She looked over to the person that had poked her and saw an Asian boy staring at her.

"Where are we?" She asked.

"Prisoners of The Ark, hear me now. You've been given a second chance, and as your Chancellor, it is my hope that you see this as not just a chance for you, but a chance for all of us, indeed for mankind itself. We have no idea what is waiting for you down there. If the odds of survival were better, we would've sent others. Frankly, we're sending you because your crimes have made you expendable." Expendable. How kind.

"Your dad is a dick, Wells!" One of the boys near her screamed. She looked across the ship and found the Chancellor's son strapped in, just like her, just like the rest of these criminals. And next to him was Clarke Griffin. Some might question how she knew who these people were because well, she was forced to hide under the floor for 15 years before she was arrested and had been in the Skybox for 2 years. But between sneaking through the Ark, in the ventilation systems and the occasional times she was bold enough to take the hallways, and the Earth Skills class they were forced into, she recognized a few people. She just wished she could find John or Octavia. They were the only two she really knew and cared about.

She looked around. They had to be here. These were all of the delinquents. She remembered the day she found out what her brother had done. After their father was floated and she was put in the Skybox, their mother resorted to alcohol. She resorted to it so much that it ended up killing her. She left John alone and what did he do? He lost himself and thought of the only way to try to find himself again: revenge. Clearly that backfired and now he was stuck in the same situation as Jovie.

"Those crimes will be forgiven, your records wiped clean. The drop site has been chosen carefully. Before the last war, Mount Weather was a military base built within a mountain. It was to be stocked with enough non-perishables to sustain three hundred people for up to two years," Jaha continued on the screen.

Earth. They were going to Earth. Jovie didn't know how she felt about that. On one hand, she was excited. She remembered how many times she would ask her parents about Earth. There was something so intriguing about the planet. It was probably the mystery of it. On the other hand, she was angry. How could the Ark send them down knowing they may not survive? Oh yeah, they were expendable.

Suddenly, a boy with long, brown hair was floating in front of her vision. He looked over at her and smirked.

"I haven't seen you around before," he said, making Jovie roll her eyes.