The Orphan Boy

"Why only this much? It should be 178 dollars. Did you steal the money? Come on, give me back the money," the mini mart owner said after counting the money from the cashier machine. Minseok said, "I didn't steal the money. You can search my body if you don't believe me." "If it wasn't you who stole the money, then who? You are the only one who works here," said the mini mart owner's wife. Minseok fell silent.

"This is your salary this month," the mini mart owner said while giving Minseok 35 dollars. Minseok said, "Why only 35 dollars? You promised to pay me 50 dollars per month." "Be grateful I'm still paying your salary and only deducting it a little after knowing you stole my money," said the mini mart owner. Minseok left without saying anything.

The mini mart owner's wife asked her husband, "Did he steal our money?" The mini mart owner replied, "Of course not! I only made up an excuse to pay him lower than our agreement." The mini mart owner's wife said, "Why deduct his salary that much? What if he doesn't want to come to work again tomorrow? You know that I can't help you watch our mini mart."

The mini mart owner's wife ran approaching Minseok, then she gave Minseok a plastic bag containing chocolate bread and cheese bread. "Thank you," said Minseok. The mini mart owner's wife said with a smile, "You will come to work again tomorrow, right?" Minseok nodded.

Suddenly rain poured. Minseok ran to take shelter from the rain under the closed store canopy. Minseok opened the plastic bag to see what the mini mart owner's wife gave and he saw a chocolate bread and a cheese bread that had expired. Minseok ate the expired cheese bread while waiting for the rain to stop.

The rain didn't stop after 2 hours. Minseok decided to go home in heavy rain. Minseok lived in an abandoned house without water and electricity. Minseok checked two big barrels at the front yard. Minseok was grateful when he saw those two big barrels full of rainwater. "With this much water, I can take shower for two weeks without spending money on bathing in public bath," Minseok thought.

Minseok went into the house through the back door, then he lit a candle. Minseok took off his wet clothes and hung it in the bathroom. Minseok dried his body and hair with towel then went to the living room to wear clothes. 

Minseok sat in the living room that was empty. Minseok took out the expired chocolate bread and his salary from the wet plastic bag. Minseok said to the bread, "You will be my breakfast. I'll eat you tomorrow morning."

Minseok took out the biscuit tin from the cardboard box where he kept his clothes and his belonging. Minseok opened the biscuit tin, then he took out all the money he kept in it and counted it together with his salary he had just gotten. "71... 72... 73... 74... 75... Now I have 75 dollars," said Minseok. Minseok put all his money into the biscuit tin, then he put the biscuit tin back into the cardboard box.

Minseok blew the candle, then he lay down on the floor and closed his eyes. Minseok curled his body because of cold, then he patted his own shoulder while saying, "You did well, Kim Minseok... You have done your best to survive another difficult day in your life... Good night, Kim Minseok... You should rest well tonight so you can have energy to fight for tomorrow."