Difficult Time in Life

Jongdae's dad looked at Baekhyun's mom and asked, "Jungsoo... Is this really you?" Baekhyun's mom tried to release her hand from Jongdae's dad's grasp while saying, "Let me go!" Jongdae's dad tightened his grasp and said, "Jungsoo-ah, I'm really sorry for leaving without saying anything to you. Please don't go and let me return your favor. I want to thank you for helping me when I had a difficult time in my life."

Minju got up from her seat and said, "Looks like you two have a lot of things to talk. I'll leave first." Jongdae's dad said, "Minju-ah, please give me your phone number. I'll call you later." Minju replied, "It was me who called you to come to the hospital." Jongdae's dad replied, "Okay, I'll save your phone number." Minju nodded at Baekhyun's mom to say goodbye, then she left Baekhyun's mom and Jongdae's dad alone.

Baekhyun's mom sat down and Jongdae's dad released his hand from Baekhyun's mom's hand. Baekhyun's mom looked at Jongdae's dad with mixed feelings, she hated him very much but she also missed him.

Jongdae's dad asked, "Are you married now?" "No," Baekhyun's mom answered. Jongdae's dad said, "I'm married and have a son." "Good for you," said Baekhyun's mom, she tried hard to hide her sadness. Jongdae's dad asked, "How are your parents?" "They are fine," Baekhyun's mom answered with lies. 

Jongdae's dad placed his name card on the table and said, "Please call me if you need a help." "I have to go now. Goodbye Jaewook oppa," said Baekhyun's mom, then she immediately left Jongdae's dad without taking the name card.

Baekhyun's mom stopped a taxi and quickly got on the taxi. Tears rolled down her face as she had the flashbacks.

Jungsoo was shocked when she came home from school and learned that Jaewook had left. Jungsoo's mom told Jungsoo that Jaewook had found a new job outside the town. Jungsoo's heart broke, she didn't want to eat so she fell sick. Jungsoo's dad took Jungsoo to the doctor and learned that Jungsoo was 3 weeks pregnant. Jungsoo was expelled from home by her parents and she dropped the school. Knowing Jungsoo had no place to go, a middle aged woman brought Jungsoo to her small bar then gave Jungsoo a job to serve the guests. Jungsoo gave up her body to make money for living, she only took a break from her job when her belly grew big until 1 month after giving birth to Baekhyun.

Baekhyun's mom got off the taxi and went straight into her house to cry in her bedroom. Meanwhile, Jongdae's dad who was still at the restaurant also lost in his thoughts, remembering the hard time in his life.

A rich businessman was grateful to Jaewook when Jaewook succeeded in thwarting the robbery of his imported goods at the port. The businessman gave Jaewook a job at his branch company outside the town as security chief. Seeing Jaewook working hard made the businessman want to help Jaewook more. The businessman sent Jaewook abroad to study about business management for 3 months. Jaewook returned to Seoul then married the businessman's daughter. Jaewook was smart, it only took less than 3 years to become the CEO of the company. The businessman handed over his company to Jaewook when he died.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jongdae was moved to the bigger hospital with complete facilities by his mom. Jongdae was hospitalized for 1 week but no one came to visit him, including his parents. "I thought Kim Minseok and Byun Baekhyun were different... They are just the same with my other friends who only treat me nice when I spend my money on them," Jongdae thought sadly. It was almost midnight but Jongdae couldn't sleep.

Meanwhile at the abandoned house...

Minseok who had just arrived home asked Baekhyun, "Did Kim Jongdae come here today?" Baekhyun shook his head sadly. "Aahh I shouldn't have listened to you... You said he would definitely return our money... Now I lost all my money," Minseok said sadly. "Why suddenly blame me? I also lost all my money," said Baekhyun.

Minseok said irritably, "Your money is your eomma's gift while mine is from my hard work! 7 years! ... I worked for 7 years to save it! Now I don't even have money to buy candles! I have to fight my hunger because there is no expired bread for me these 2 days!" Baekhyun got angry, he yelled, "Why are you so pathetic??? You still have 3 cups of ramyeon yet you prefer not to eat it and stay hungry!!!"

Minseok ignored Baekhyun, he went to the front yard to get some water to take a bath but the big barrels were empty. Minseok returned to the living room and shouted angrily, "I can't even take a bath now!!! All because of you!!! My life was easier before you came!!! I want you to leave my house tomorrow!!!" Baekhyun shouted back angrily, "Fine!!! I'll leave now!!!"

Baekhyun took his towel from the bathroom then shoved it into his school bag angrily, he also took all his clothes from the floor and put it in his school bag. The damp towel, dirty clothes and clean clothes mixed in Baekhyun's school bag. Baekhyun left the abandoned house angrily.

The candle burned out, the living room became dark. That was the last candle Minseok had. Minseok lay on the floor, then he patted his shoulder while mumbling sadly in a trembling voice, "You did well, Kim Minseok... You have done your best to..." Minseok couldn't finish the sentence he usually said every night to cheer himself. Minseok cried while holding his hungry stomach.

Meanwhile, Baekhyun kept walking, trying to find a place to sleep. Baekhyun saw a public bath that had a wooden bench in front. Baekhyun slept on the wooden bench with his school bag as pillow. A few minutes later, a man who guarded the public bath drove Baekhyun away.

Baekhyun walked again. Drizzles suddenly began falling. Baekhyun stopped under the canopy of closed store to take shelter from rain. As the rain got heavier, Baekhyun squatted down while hugging his school bag and mumbling in tears, "Eomma..."

At the same time, Jongdae who couldn't sleep in the hospital mumbled in his heart, "Should I run myself into the cars?... Or jump off the tall building?... I really don't want to live anymore."