Paper Cuts

"Happy birthday Kim Minseok... Today you turn 19... Wish you to have a better life this year," Minseok talked to himself once he woke up. Minseok took a bath using rainwater from the big barrel on the front yard.

Minseok combed his hair with his fingers, then he took out an empty jam jar filled with paper cuts from his cardboard box. Minseok opened the jar and took out all the paper cuts from the jar to read.

Minseok held one of the paper cuts and said with a wide smile, "Goodbye my wish... Today you will come true." Minseok kissed the paper cut in his hands then left it on the floor. Minseok put the rest of paper cuts back into the jar, then he put the jar back into the cardboard box.

Minseok took out all his cup ramyeon from his cardboard box. Minseok talked to his 3 cups of ramyeon while pointing to it one by one, "You will be my breakfast... You will be my lunch... And you will be my dinner." Minseok's stomach growled. Minseok rubbed his hungry stomach while saying, "Please wait a little more... I'll fill you once I arrive at mini mart."

Baekhyun who had been hiding near the abandoned house since dawn, went inside the abandoned house as soon as Minseok left. Baekhyun thought, "Kim Minseok will come home late at night so I can sleep here when he isn't here."

Baekhyun saw the paper cut on the floor. Baekhyun grabbed it and read it, "I.. Wish... To... Eat... Cup... Ramyeon... On... My... Birthday." Baekhyun talked to himself, "What is this?... Is this Kim Minseok's handwriting? Woahh he has a very bad handwriting."

Baekhyun couldn't sleep because he felt hungry, his stomach kept growling loudly. Baekhyun said, "I'm sorry Kim Minseok... I'll have to borrow your cup ramyeon... I promise to buy it back for you when I have money." Baekhyun opened Minseok's cardboard box to take Minseok's cup ramyeon but he couldn't find it, he only found Minseok's clothes, the empty biscuit tin and the jar filled with paper cuts.

Baekhyun decided to leave the house, trying to look for something to eat. When Baekhyun saw a traditional market, he immediately went there. Baekhyun approached a grandma who had difficulty carrying her shopping items, then he said with a smile, "Halmeoni (grandma), let me help you,"

Baekhyun's stomach kept growling when he helped the grandma carry the shopping items to the grandma's house. "Please put it in the kitchen," said grandma. "Okay," Baekhyun replied. There were 5 large basins of various side dishes in the grandma's kitchen.

The grandma said, "Thank you for helping me." Then the grandma gave Baekhyun a box of kimchi as an expression of thanks. Baekhyun said, "Halmeoni, I'll only take one third of kimchi... Instead, please give me rice." The grandma gave Baekhyun a box of rice and said, "You can have it all. My side dishes are the best in the area here." "Thank you very much, halmeoni," Baekhyun said happily.

Baekhyun ate in front of grandma's house, then he left grandma's house while carrying the leftover. Baekhyun kept walking to find something he can do to make money. Meanwhile, Minseok who had just arrived at mini mart, quickly helped the mini mart owner open the mini mart. When the mini mart owner went home, Minseok quickly ate his cup ramyeon.

Jongdae was discharged from the hospital and he went straight to school. Jongdae tried to jump off the school's rooftop at the first break but Suho, Kai and Sehun also his other friends tried to stop him. Jongdae was happy because his friends tried to save him.

At the second break, Jongdae went into the toilet room to poop. Suho, Sehun and Kai also came into the toilet to pee. "Jongdae is really a pain in butt," said Suho. "That's right! He keeps calling me to tell his problems," said Sehun. "If it wasn't because he always spent money on us, I wouldn't care if he died," said Kai. Jongdae who heard everything from inside the toilet room became really sad.

Jongdae left his school and took a taxi to go to the highway. Jongdae tried to gather his courage to throw himself into the passing cars, but the thought of being disabled for the rest of his life if he failed the suicide made him cancel his intention to kill himself. Jongdae left the highway and kept walking with a wandering mind until night.

Meanwhile at the mini mart...

When Minseok wanted to eat his last cup ramyeon as dinner, the mini mart owner yelled, "Yaa! How dare you eat mini mart's cup ramyeon!!" "I swear that the cup ramyeon is not from this mini mart. My friend bought it for me," said Minseok. "Show me the proof," said the mini mart owner. Minseok fell silent.

"I will deduct your salary this month to pay for the cup ramyeon," said the mini mart owner, then he took Minseok's cup ramyeon and put it on the display rack. "But the cup ramyeon is really mine," said Minseok.

The mini mart owner gave the cup ramyeon back to Minseok, then he gave Minseok 25 dollars and said, "You don't have to come to work again tomorrow." Minseok begged, "Please don't fire me." Minseok put his cup ramyeon back on the display rack. The mini mart owner took back his 25 dollars and said, "You can continue to work here but I'll still deduct your salary to pay for the cup ramyeon." Minseok nodded in understanding.

Minseok walked back home after the mini mart was closed. Minseok looked up the sky and mumbled, "There are no stars in the sky... Maybe it will rain again tonight." Then Minseok fastened his steps.

Minseok was shocked when he arrived home and saw a birthday cake with lit candles on a new wide carpet. Minseok asked himself confusedly, "Why is there a birthday cake here?" Suddenly Baekhyun and Jongdae came out from their hiding, they came out from the bedroom with rice, kimchi, 2 boxes of fried chicken and 3 cans of soft drink in their hands.

"Happy birthday Kim Minseok," Baekhyun and Jongdae said with a wide smile. Minseok asked confusedly, "Why can you two be here?... How do you know that today is my birthday?" Jongdae replied, "It's a long story how we can be here. Let's eat first. I'm hungry. I'll tell you the story later."

Baekhyun gave Minseok 3 paper cuts and said, "Kim Jongdae and I only help you make your wishes come true faster." Minseok read the paper cuts in his hands, "I wish to celebrate my birthday with a birthday cake... I wish to eat fried chicken on my birthday... I wish to celebrate my birthday with friends."

Minseok said while crying, "Thank you." "Btw, Kim Minseok... Your handwriting is really bad... I can barely read it," said Baekhyun. Minseok laughed and cried at the same time. Jongdae said, "Kim Minseok, hurry up make a wish! The candles almost burn out!" Minseok quickly folded his hands and closed his eyes then made a wish in his heart, "I wish to be loved."