« Chapter Nineteen - The Unexpected Question »

I groaned as I woke, it had been five days since McGonagall had announced the Yule ball and I had been asked to go by more people than I can count, even by some Slytherin . I quickly got ready and hummed my way down to the Great Hall- thankful it was Saturday.

"Hey Freddie, Hey Georgie," I greeted, a smile on my face. I had written letters to my mother and Mrs Weasley explaining that me and Charlie were not together and not an hour later I got a tear stained letter back from my mother.

"Good morning Maddie," the two spoke simultaneously, a toothy grin appearing on each of their faces, a mischievous glint in their eyes.

"What are my two favourite mischief makers up to on this fine morning?" I questioned, a fond smile gracing my lips as I took my place opposite them.

"Planning a prank on Snape," They smirked and I chuckled lightly and my smile quickly disappeared as I was handed a rose by a random Gryffindor passing by. I rose an eyebrow but he just smirked, walking back to his friends. I turned to the rose and only then realised that it wasn't an actual rose, it was glass. The glass of the rose was cold against my fingers and I smiled slightly checking the tag.

'people climb me, cut me and burn me. My rings are not of gold but they do tell my age. I reside by the water where the inkfish basks,'

I read aloud and the twins glanced at each other with quizzical looks. A riddle? I pondered it for a moment before a lightbulb lit in my head.

"The tree that hangs over the lake! People climb, cut and burn trees and trees have rings in their trunk that tells there age and inkfish must be referring to the giant squid!" I exclaimed, packing up all my stuff quickly before sprinting to my room, placing the glass rose carefully on my pillow before hastily walking to the tree that the riddle had told me to go to.

When I arrived I found another piece of paper pinned on the tree along with a beautiful golden locket, it was heart shaped and had a magnificent rose patterned on the front. I took the locket in my hands and carefully put it around my neck as if it were made of glass and would shatter at any moment. I once again read the note, groaning when I realised it was another riddle. I'm starting to think I should have been sorted into Ravenclaw.

'I'm mean and grumpy, furry and plumpy, I love you, I hate everyone else,'

"Rontu!" I exclaimed, snatching the paper off the great tree and skipping happily back to the living room of my dorm. I rushed in and grabbed my moody feline, hugging him tightly and planting a kiss on his cute little button nose. During my hug I noticed a scrunching noise and carefully slipped the piece of parchment out from under his collar.

'For your last riddle, you have to be as fit as a fiddle. Keep your eyes in the air, for the gold makes your vision impair,'

"Quidditch?" I muttered in question, before shrugging and making my way outside once again. Worth a shot.

When I arrived in the quidditch pitch, I immediately noticed another piece of parchment attached to a stick which stuck out of the ground. It only read two words.

'Turn around'

I knitted my eyebrows together in confusion but did as the note said and spun on my heel and my eyes widened in shock as I noticed a familiar red head standing there. I couldn't hold back a gasp as it all clicked in my brain.

"Madison Davies, would you do me the honour of accompanying me to the Yule Ball," Charlie questioned in a mock posh accent and I chuckled, crushing him in a tight embrace.

"Of course Charles,"

"Good, because that would have been horribly embarrassing if you had said no,"