Chapter 1

Fanning the Flames

Chapter 1

We all live in the world of magic and elements, but we don't know it. Fire, water, air, and earth used to rule the world, but a terrible war broke out. Each element wanted more territory and fought for it until they either died or got it. In the end, water, air, and earth teamed up to take over the fire's territory. Fire was the most powerful of the elements and even more dangerous. They killed off all of the fire elements, well, they thought they did.

~~~Present Day~~~~~

I glanced around the dark room I was lying in forgetting where I was at. My head was reeling and I thought I was going to pass out. The world turned grayer, but it kept on spinning. I closed my eyes and took deep breaths to calm myself. Finally, my head felt like it was staying still and I opened my eyes.

It was early morning and the sun was shining into the small room I was in. The room itself was quite pitiful. The only furniture it consisted in it was the small bed which I was laying in and the puny dresser that held my only belongings. My name is Dae Edana Lynch and I was, sadly, living in a foster home. If you're wondering what Dae means, it means destined for greatness. It's ironic to tell you the truth; I'm supposed to be destined for greatness yet, here I am, in a foster home. Yes, that is greatness in my book! Edana was a better name for me, but I'll settle with it being my middle name. It means fiery. So basically, I'm a fifteen year old whose names all put together meant a fiery person who is destined for greatness but in the end gets hung by an angry mob. Not the best name in the world.

I got off of my lumpy mattress and walked over to the mirror that hung on the wall. I glanced disgusted at my appearance. I had brown hair with natural blond and darker brown highlights in it. My nose had a sprinkle of freckles along it and my eyebrows have seen better days. My eyes were the only interesting thing about me and they weren't that interesting. They were sometimes a warm brown color or a light brown color. On some days though, they were a mixture of brown, blue, and green but you had to look closely for the blue.

I walked towards my dresser and picked out my favorite clothing; a white dress that hung off one of my shoulders and brown boots. My last family had given me them as a good bye. Sorry, we don't want you but you can have some expensive clothing for your consolation prize.

I plugged in my ancient straightener and walked out of the room to get some breakfast before doing my hair. I turned a left and walked down the concrete steps and stepped into the kitchen. The walls were a sickly yellow color and the counters didn't look much better. I walked towards the bowls but stopped when someone whistled at me. I turned around and came face to face to one of the other teens who lived here. I glared at him but he just looked at me like I was the grand prize. Sadly, this wasn't an uncommon occurrence since there were only 3 girls here and there were about 20 boys. This one, in particular, liked to pick me out of the bunch. His name is Connor and was getting a little fed up with him.

"Hey there Dae, don't you look beautiful today?" he said while walking over there to give me a hug.

I stepped back and glared at him. "Don't you dare touch me," I warned.

"Why, who's going to stop me?"

I kicked him where it hurts and whispered right into his ear, "I will," and walked away with a banana in my own hand and a juice box in the other. I opened up the door to the left and came into the 'meeting room'. This room practically had a television, a couch, a lamp, and a chair; nothing else. Sadly, it was probably one of the better rooms in this house. I sat down on the couch and turned it on Phineas and Ferb. It was the episode where Candace "busts" her brothers but it ends up being a dream that Candace had that Perry had.

I totally consumed with the show that I didn't even notice the fire alarm.

"Dae, get you but going there's a fire and we need to evacuate the building!" shouted Dan, one of the directors of the foster home. My eyes immediately zoomed in on Dan. I could feel the tears forming there from the smoke. How could I not notice all this smoke!

"Oh my god," I jumped off the couch and ran towards the stairs.

"Dae, get back down here! It's too dangerous up there!" Dan yelled.

"I need to get some stuff I'll be back down in a minute flat," I yelled over my shoulder and ran into my room. There was fire everywhere. I looked around trying to find the source. I glanced over at my dresser. Crap, I forgot about my straightener being hooked up! It looks like it fell of the dresser and landed on the floor. I knew I never should have bought the thing!

The smoke was getting thicker and my eyes filled with tears as I made my ways to my bed. I threw the mattress of the bed and picked up my small backpack. It contained all of my things before the accident, before my parents died. I ran to my dresser which, luckily, hadn't caught on fire yet. I pulled out all of my clothes and my little toiletry bag and ran down the hallway. The hallway was so filled with smoke that I couldn't see at all, let alone breathe. The smoke was getting too strong for me. I blindly made my way down the halls to the stairs. I stopped dead in my tracks. A piece of burning wood lay between me and the stairs. How am I going to make it out alive?

>