Chapter 24

.:. Okay guys, this chapter is dedicated to the one person who has really given me criticism!!!  Thanks!!!  I really needed it oh and this chapter is pretty much all the things that you told me should have happened.  Another thing, if you guys haven't figured out yet, Dae is GULLIBUL!!!   Oh gosh, I spelled that wrong probably!!  Well have fun reading!!!  .:.

Chapter 24

        I was standing in line waiting to see Headmistress Samantha.  I twirled a lock of my straight brown hair.  I'm lucky; I am one of the first people.  A line stretched on behind me as other freshmen waited for their turn.  I wonder who my mentor will be.  This morning, Jacklynn, Leah, Willow, Connor, Josh, and Marnie sat with me for breakfast.  The other guys sat with Landon.  The only time we've spoken was when he tried to beg for my forgiveness.  I replied by walking away with grape juice in one hand and a bagel with strawberry cream cheese in the other.  A part of me hopes that he'll still be my partner while the other part hopes that he won't be. 

        "Dae Edana Lynch," called one of the professors.  I nodded and stepped into Headmistress Samantha's office.  I was instantly blindfolded and pushed down into a chair. 

        "Hello dear Dae, how are you today?" asked Samantha.  I smiled and blinked against the black fabric. 

        "I've seen better days," I said while shrugging my shoulder.

        "Sorry to hear.  Well, this is how it's going to go.  In my hand I have a bowl with the names of all the professors in the school.  You are to reach in and feel around until you find one that feels like it's the right one, got it?" I nodded my head.  A cool hand grabbed my wrist and stuck in what felt like a glass bowl.    I imagined a bowl full to the rim with names written on paper.  I sighed and felt around in the bowl.  No names felt weird to me; nothing stuck out.

        "I'm not getting anything," I sighed. 

        "Huh, let me put in another name," she said.  I heard something clattering around and a pen click.  "There, remove your hand please."  I moved my hand out of the bowl and waited.  I hate being blind, it makes me feel like I'm missing something.  "There you go!"  I put my hand back into the bowl.  Something was weird.  It was like my finger tips were throbbing.  I removed my hand from the piece of paper and it was gone.  I picked up the piece of paper and showed it to Headmistress Samantha.

        "This is the one," I said.  The blindfold is pulled from my eyes and I blinked against the sudden light.  "What does it say?" I asked.  She flipped it over and showed me the name.  Katherine Tate written in frilly cursive marked the white slip of paper.  "Is this the name you put into the hat last?"

        "Yes it is," said Headmistress Samantha.  She set down the bowl and started to clean up the little mess she made.

        "Why wasn't it in before?"  I stand up and help clean up the spilled pens.

        "Professor Katherine stopped mentoring some time ago.  She said that there will be only one more student she'll mentor and that will be it.  So, every year we stop putting her name in the bowl, and it hasn't made an effect on anyone, well that is until now."  I stand up and dust my hands off.

        "Huh, that's rather odd," I scrunched my eyebrows up.

        "If you say so," Headmistress Samantha said while patting my shoulder.  "I believe that it's lunch time now," she said and cringed.  We decided to tell the other students at lunch.  "It'll be fine Dae, no worries!"  She gave me a smile before leading me out the door and into the waiting room.