Living up to the moniker

Charles groaned as his left eye opened, his right eye was swollen shut and he could not feel the left side of his face. He tried moving his body as the pain shot through as if he was being tortured again. He finally managed to get up to his feet after a few tries. He looked around and noticed he was at the Coney Island beach.

He walked aimlessly trying to find a phone booth to call Meyer so he can come to get him. He spotted a parked car and he limped towards it hoping that the driver would drive him home. He finally reached the vehicle noticing a man and a woman inside. He leaned against the car feeling himself get dizzy. A sudden scream broke him out of his trance and he squinted his left eye seeing the woman scream looking at him.

The couple got out of the vehicle and the man ran towards Charles, to say he was shocked to see a man in this state is alive not to mention walk around would be an understatement. He put an arm around Charles helping him to stand up. He feared he would die seeing the amount of blood he was losing.

"Take.me.home". Charles said gasping for air with each word.

"Sir, I am an officer in the NYPD and by law, I am obligated to take you to a medical facility". Charles groaned this was the last thing he needed cops. They would just over complicate things plus Charles hated those pigs, unfortunately, he did not have the energy to fight the man who helped him into the back of the car.

The officer started the car and the frantic woman sat at the back seat with him, she had a cloth pressed on his throat attempting to stop him from losing too much blood. Charles watched her sob whilst praying before he drifted off to darkness again.
-----------------------------------------------------
Charles tried opening his eyes but quickly realized that his right eye was still swollen shut. His left eye tried to adapt to the bright light coming into the white room. He tried moving and felt his hand jerk back, he tried moving his hand again before quickly realizing that he was handcuffed to the hospital bed.

What the f*ck is going on

He thought to himself and as if on cue two men dressed in suits walked in the room.

"Ahh nice to see you're finally awake Mr. Luciano". One of the men spoke taking out a writing pad and pen from his suit jacket. He settled on the seat next to the hospital bed.

"Now Mr Luciano, you are a very lucky man the doctor said you survived by the skin of your teeth. Now tell me sir who would want you dead". The man asked and Charles didn't answer. He was in pain and could barely move.

"Mr Luciano you understand that you have to cooperate with us or else we'll take you to the slammer and by the looks of it you in no state to be in a cell". The man continued and Charles remained silent.

The door opened and a man dressed in a white coat came in and Charles concluded that it was the doctor but behind him, the familiar frantic brunette walked in.

"Charles". Grace cried.

"I'm sorry detective but you are going to have to question. Mr. Luciano another day, he just came from the operating room and he has lost a lot of blood it's a miracle that he is alive. He's going to need some time to recover". The doctor said.

"I'll be back in two days but for now he is still under police custody and shall remain handcuffed to the bed". The detective said.

"How can you be so cruel he is barely alive and you want to put him in jail". Grace said sobbing.

"Mam your husband is a very dangerous man, he has a few warrants under his belt and his attack may be a result of his illegal activities". The officer said and Grace did not correct him regarding his assumption about their relationship. The two men left, leaving Grace and the doctor with Charles.

"Would you like to stay as I examine your husband, Mrs. Luciano". Grace nodded, neither of them correcting the doctor.

He moved towards Charles and removed the bandages around his face.

"We tried to stitch him up as best as we could but I'm afraid he will be left with permanent scarring". The doctor said. He took a scalpel and moved it across Charles' left cheek, he expected to feel a stinging pain but instead, he felt nothing.

"Can you feel that Mr. Luciano". The doctor asked and Charles shook his head. The doctor sighed.

"What's wrong?". Grace asked in concern.

"The cut across his left cheek damaged his facial muscles and I'm afraid he won't feel anything". The doctor said and Grace gasped.

"His left eye is still swollen shut but I will evaluate him over the days if things go our way he will be fine and if things don't go great his right eye will be blind" . The doctor informed.

"Oh my God". Grace gasped putting her hand on her chest. The doctor re-applied Charles' bandages around his face.

"I will leave you two alone". The doctor said as he left the room.

Grace moved closer to Charles and ran her hand across his chest softly as she sobbed.

"I'm sorry Charlie I really am. I swear I had nothing to do with this. You know I would never hurt you". She sobbed and he glared at her with his functioning eye.

"Please talk to me". She cried and he remained silent his gaze moved towards her belly. He still could not believe that he was going to be a father. Grace noticed this and took his handcuffed hand moving it to her belly.

"We made a baby, can you believe it. I know the timing was not perfect but it's still our baby". She said putting her hand over his on her small belly. She was about three months along and was not showing.

This baby was the greatest thing for her, she would forever have a piece of him with her but she desperately hoped he would take responsibility and marry her. He would first need to recover from his ordeal not only physically but psychologically.

I am being generous with these updates.

Ben Siegal on top