Chapter 4

The boys all stood in their underwear playing loogie while I sat on a rock just behind them listening to them fight about who won.
"Oh my God that was terrible, I win!"
"You won?"
"Yeah"
"Did you see my loogie?"
"Mine went the furthest, it's about distance"
"It's mass, it's always been mass"
Wha- what the- what is mass?"
"Who cares how far it goes, it's about how cool it looks like if its green or white or juicy and fat"
I chuckle at their stupid argument.
I hear footsteps approaching and turn around to see Beverly coming towards me. She holds up a finger signaling me to be quiet, then she takes off her dress telling me to do the same.
"Alright who's first?" I hear Bill ask.
Bev nods at me and we both yell out,
"We'll go"
She grabs my hand and we start running.
"Sissys" I yell before jumping off with Bev.
"What the fuck" I hear Richie yell before I crash into the water, the cool water refreshing me.
"Come on" Bev yells out.
Slowly the boys jump in one by one, Stan last.
We splash around in the water for a while and then Richie suggests we do a chicken fight so he hops on Ben's shoulders Bev gets on Bill and I'm with Stan while Eddie referees.
Richie and Ben take down Bev and Bill before turning toward Stan and I.
"Oh you're going down Tozier!"
Richie laughs.
Stan holds my legs tighter while walking towards them, me and Richie try pushing each other off for a while and then when I get close enough I tickle him and he falls backwards into the water.
"No fair that's cheating!" Richie yells.
"There's no rules against it" I say laughing.
Stan ducks underwater so I can hop off his shoulders, the boys and Bev start swimming off doing races I stay behind. Stan notices and swims back sitting in the sand next to me.
"Are you ok?" He asks.
"Oh, yeah I'm fine I just didn't feel like racing"
"Ok"
We sit in a comfortable silence for a while, I look over at him taking in his features, his wet curly hair is sticking to his forehead, the sun shining making his eyes seemed bright and his lips slightly purple from the cold water. He catches me staring at him making me blush and look down at the water.
"You know you're cute when you blush"
This makes me go even more red.
"You don't mean that"
"Yes I do"
I look up at him, smiling, and see that he is blushing as well.
"Well I think you're cute when you blush" I say poking his cheek.
He laughs taking my hand away from his face and intertwining our fingers. I looked down at our hands before smiling at him and looking back to where the others were swimming.
I've always liked Stan, since the moment I met him back in third grade but I would never tell him that because I was scared of being rejected. All the boys knew of my crush on Stan and told me he liked me too but I didn't want to risk losing my friendship with him but that didn't stop Richie from constantly teasing us.
I was snapped out of my thoughts when I saw the others coming back towards us. Stan stood up before helping me up as well and then we all went over to a circle of rocks, the boys sat down while me and Bev layed our towels out and sunbathed.
"Don't look now but the boys are all looking at us" Bev whisper to me.
I look to the side with my eyes, under my sunglasses and sure enough they were.
"Ok on three we turn our heads" I whisper back.
"1 2 3"
We turn out heads and all the boys start looking around anywhere but at us.
Richie starts going through Ben's bag.
"News flash Ben schools out for the summer"
"Oh that, that's not school stuff"
"Who sent you this?" He pulls out a post card.
"No one" he snatches the card and puts it back in his bag.
Richie then pulls out a folder full of papers and goes through it.
"What's with the history project?"
I stand up a go sit next to Stan, he smiles brightly at me.
"Oh well when I first moved here I didn't really have anyone to hangout with so I just started going to the library"
"You went to the library? On purpose?"
"Oh I want to see" Bev says and sits next to Bill.
"What's the black spot?" Stan asks.
"The black spots a night club that got burnt down years ago by that racist cult"
"Y-y-you're hair..."
I look over to Bill, he's talking about how Bev cut her hair short.
"Your hair looks beautiful Beverly" Ben finishes for Bill.
"Oh right, thanks"
There was an awkward silence so I decided to brake it,
"Pass" I say to Bill so he gives me the folder and I look through the papers.
"Why is it all murders and missing kids?"
"Derrys not like any town I've been in before, they did a study once and it turns out people die or disappear six times the national average"
"You read that?" Bev asks.
"And that's just grown ups, kids are worse, way, way worse"
My hands start to sweat, I mean it's scary knowing that's happening in your own town.
"I've got more stuff if you want to see it?"
Eddie shakes his head mumbling,
"No, no, no"

But everyone else agrees to go.