Chapter 18: The Silence

(Y/N)'s PoV:

I was sitting in the living room with Goliath, watching the end of the Vytal Festival, when he suddenly handed me his helmet.

"Huh? Goliath?"

"The air's gettin' thick with dread. I've gotta feeling that the Grimm are about to attack and something bad's gunna happen over there," he waved at the TV, "which'll cause the entire world to cry out in anguish. I'm gunna die a soldier's death and die protecting this town. I want you to carry out my legacy as a 6-4 Pilot."

On the TV, I watched as Rose and Locus were defeated by Mercury and Emerald, allowing one of the two Mistral students to progress and fight Yang. "... I understand. It's... been an honor, living under your wing. I'll keep your legend going."

Goliath stood up with me and we exchanged salutes before I walked outside with my mentor and friend beside me. My Titans were waiting for me and climbing up into Snake in my new uniform, I turned to give Goliath one last nod before fully Embarking. When the display before me turned on, I saw Goliath standing there, R-201 in one hand and saluting me with the other. The Titans returned the salute and finally, we walked off, leaving the town behind.

With our line-up being (from front to back) ST, Snake, Ion, and finally OL, we began to march our way towards Mistral. I had the Vytal Festival playing in the center of my screen, letting Snake Pilot himself, and my eyes widened when I saw Pyrrha rip this girl named Penny to pieces. I couldn't help but watch as Grimm started attacking the school and Atlas droids were deployed to combat them, but they suddenly turned red and spun around to gun down their human counterparts, alongside anything that moved that wasn't Grimm nor White Fang.

Before I could get too emotional, I turned off the feed and assumed control of my Titan. "Team, safeties off. Grimm are on the loose."

Everyone drew their weapons and in the case of ST, started spinning them up. We resumed our march without a sound, that is if you ignore the sound of ST's gun spinning and Titan feet marching along, and continued to march well into the night. When it was around 2027 standard time, we picked up on the sound of metal slamming down in a forest close to us. Without a sound, we altered our course towards the sound with ST activating his gun shield and Snake holding his Leadwall, ready for combat.

"UGH. STUPID TREES."

We all froze at the female voice.

"WAIT. IS SOMEONE THERE?"

The Titan started to scan, but Ion activated an anti-pulse scan, scrambling the Titan's systems for a moment, letting us close in on it. When the Titan rebooted, it saw four guns pointed straight at it.

"WHOA, DON'T SHOOT! DON'T SHOOT!" The Titan held up its hands.

I spoke using Snake's speakers. "Where is your Pilot? Embarked?"

"I DON'T HAVE A PILOT! LOOK!" It opened up to reveal an empty cockpit.

I lowered our shotgun. "Huh. What faction are you?"

"UH, I WAS MADE BY VINSON DYNAMICS BUT DURING A RAID ON THE CARGO SHIP I WAS BEING TRANSPORTED ON TO THE IMC, IT BLEW UP. I WAS THE ONLY TITAN/PERSONNEL TO SURVIVE THE CRASH."

Looking at the Titans I had already collected, they gave me their own signs of agreement and I hopped out of Snake and into the still-open Titan. She instinctively closed her hatch and formed a Neural Link with me, solidifying my role as her Pilot.

"LINK ESTABLISHED. I AM MN-78336, A MONARCH-CLASS TITAN. PROBLEM IS MY WEAPONS WERE DESTROYED DURING THE CRASH, SO I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO FEND OFF ATTACKERS BESIDES MY ENERGY SIPHON, MISSILE PODS OR MY FISTS."