Try hard

Kayla's POV

after school I meet up with Luke to head to six flags.

We get there around 4:00 and after we pay for entrance we try and find the biggest roller coaster there.

I think it's good that Luke and I hang out together because it can help us bond since we will be working together with all the band stuff.

We go on a bunch of rollercoasters and have a really fun time.

When it gets late, the rollercoasters start closing so we decide to go on the Ferris wheel.

We get into one of the cars and just talk.

"So how are things with Ashton?" I ask concerned.

"Fine, he's kind of layed off a bit since his spot in the band was threatened." he explains.

"That's good, cause he's probably the only drummer at the school!" I joke and he laughs with me.

We talk for a while and when we get closer to the top I look around to get used to he height and when I turn back I see Luke leaning toward me.

I push him back, maybe a bit too hard and his eyes flash open in embarrassment.

"I'm sorry, I just... I just can't." I say and turn away from him, looking into the sky.

"No, I'm sorry... I don't know what I was thinking..." he says, his voice trailing off, and I can tell he is embarrassed.

"Let's just pretend that didn't happen..." I suggest.

"Mhm." he mumbles.

When we get to the bottom of the ferris wheel, the worker lets us off and tells us that the park is closing soon.

We head to the exit and I turn to Luke who is walking with his head down.

"Do you, um, need a ride home?" I offer him.

"Uh, no, I'm just going to take the bus, since their is a bus stop right near my house, so... yeah." he says.

"Oh, okay, well I'll see you tomorrow." I say giving him a half smile and a wave.

I get in my car and start driving home, replaying what happened in my head.

Does he like me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke's POV

when I get home I run up to my room and just scream into my pillow.

I can't believe I made such a fool of myself.

My mom comes into my room and sits on the edge of my bed.

I sit up, trying to hide the pain I'm feeling.

"What's wrong?" she asks me kindly.

"I tried to kiss Kayla, you know, the girl I told you about, and she rejected me, and it just hurts mom." I say collapsing into her arms for a comforting hug.

"It'll be okay my little penguin, she'll realize her mistake soon enough." She says.

"I think I'm going to get ready for bed." I say, hinting that she should leave.

She walks out of my room silently and I rush over to my desk and open one of the drawers to pull out my journal.

I flip through to try and find a blank page and start writing down a tune and some lyrics.

I read through the lyrics a couple times and make some changes as I go but I'm happy with the first verse.

"She's dropping out of school cause she don't need the grades

The colours in her hair don't seem to fade

I get dressed up when I go out but she gets dressed down

Well she's 17 and tutoring 20

I can't take her out cause moms got no money

It's stuff like this that makes me wish that I could change somehow

Sitting here at home

It's obvious she's so out of reach

And It's getting me down that she makes me feel

Makes me feel

Like I try

Like I try

Like I'm trying to hard again" I read.

It's not entirely true, but it is how I feel when I'm with Kayla, it's like I try so hard and she never notices.

Why her? why am I so attracted to her?

Oh yeah, that's right, because she's perfect, I remind myself.

After writing a couple more lyrics I close up my journal and put it away.

I put on a pair of baggy shorts and a t-shirt, then I brush my teeth and go to bed.

As I turn off the light on my bedside table and start falling asleep, the only thing I can think about is her.

(A/N hey guys! I know that this is short but I will hopefully be putting up a longer chapter tomorrow night!! thank you so much for all the reads and I hope you are all still enjoying the story! keep on commenting, voting, and reading! ~ Julia <3 )