22. What have I gotten myself into?

It's 11:13am and I've been awake since 5:25am. I had a horrible sleep that consists of me waking up every few hours after having dreamed of what happened at Bruce Wayne's party last night.

When I had finally go out of bed to make some breakfast, I noticed the two police cars stationed outside my house. They had been assigned to watch me until things cleared up.

I had showered,watched a movie, made muffins and was now simply waiting until 12.

What happens if Wayne enterprises doesn't pay? Are those men just going to show up? What about the police officers In front of my house?

So many questions swirled in my mind but settled. Bruce will pay, surely... He already told them that he would. I'll be fine, right?

Trying to assure myself seemed to make the idea of Bruce paying less and less likely...

I attempt to stop thinking about it by turning on the TV in my room. Everything on the screen seemed boring at this point.

I watched and waited until suddenly I was startled but the sounds of glass smashing downstairs. I jumped off my bed and rushed to the door but hesitated. Do I really want to down there? It might be one of the police officers that have come to check up on me, it might even be my parents.... But what if it isn't?

I open the door and tip toe down the hall towards the stairs. I peek around the room only to find it empty before slowly and carefully making my way into the lounge.
I could see a vase had been knocked off the desk and lay on the ground in multiple pieces. There was nobody in the room. I make my way into the kitchen and the sudden thought of someone jumping out behind me, pulling out one of the steak knives and stabbing me floats through my mind. I mean, sure, it's unlikely but I would rather be safe than sorry right?

I walk over to the draw but before I get the chance to open it I feel something cold being pressed to the side of my head. I freeze. Oh no. It was the same man from the alley and Bruce's party.

"Harleen" a deep voice greets me. I shiver. "W-What do y-you w-w-want from me?" I stutter out a reply in a quiet voice. He grabs my arm and spins me around to face him, gun still pressed to my temples.
"Well I'm expected to wait around here to make sure you don't... Run off before noon" he says with a smirk.

I could feel my heart rate pick up in my chest. I glance at the clock on the wall 11:43. I have 17 minutes exactly to try talk my way out of this.

Oh who am I kidding they are going to kill me. There is 17 minutes left and I'm sure if Bruce was going to pay it then he would have by now. My parents didn't even come back after the party. Did they not realize that their own daughters life had been threatened? Did they care?

My eyes begin to well up. "Please! You have to let me go. I didn't- I cant-" I break down and push my self as far away from him as I could."please" I sob.

He lowers the gun. "I'm not going to hurt you" he says quietly. I glance up at him in disbelief. "Yes you are. Bruce won't transfer the money just for me, I know he wont. You going to kill me" I continue to sob. "Harleen-" He starts but I cut him off. "You might as well just shoot me now, save yourself the wait!" I state, lowering my head in defeat. I can't believe I actually just told him to hurry up and kill me! What am I thinking? Now he probably thinks he will be doing me a favor or something... "Harleen!" He shouts, cutting of my sobs. I glance up in fear at his tone. "I'm not going to hurt you" he states slowly, as if he were trying to explain it to a small child. I falter.

"Wh- your n-not going to K-kill me...? I stutter out. "No, your going to be fine" he confirms. I glance at the gun in his hand and then to my right at the knife rack.

Before he can catch my gaze, I make a split-second decision to quickly knee him where it counts and grab the first knife I can get my hands on from the rack. It dawns on me that he has a gun. I have a knife. What was I even thinking? Now he is really going to kill me...

He shuffles from his crouched position on the floor in order to get up and I look at the knife in my hand. I'm going to regret this...

I lunge forward and he staggers back, unprepared. I raise the knife above my head and hesitate. He's going to kill me... I need to save myself... Right? I plunge the knife down into his shoulder and he let's out an array of curses and shouts as he drops to the ground. I tear the knife out of his shoulder and cringe as I glance at my blood-covered hands.

I just stabbed this man. I stabbed him. I look down at his body surrounded by a growing pool of blood on the kitchen floor. The knife slips out of my hand and clatters onto the floor next to him.

I need to get help. I turn and run towards the front door. I sprint to the police cars outside and bang on the tinted windows. When nobody answers, I try the door. I gasp. They were both dead.

The police radio sounds throughout the car. I couldn't quite understand whatever the other line is saying before I grab the radio and sob into it "Please, you have to help me. The two police officers are dead and there's a dead man in-" the lady on the other line cuts me off.

"Honey, honey. We can help you but what's your location? We will send an officer there now" A lady's calming voice says through the radio.

I gulp "My address is... Ahh..." I try to focus and clear my thought. "116, Torea street, Gotham. Please, I really need help, I-" she cuts me off again. "You said there were two dead officers? Were they murdered?" Her voice is still calm. I glance over at the man in the seat next to me and almost vomit. "Y-yeah, they were shot.. In their cars, outside my house" The information comes out rushed and incoherent. "And do you, or anyone else, need medical assistance?" She asks slowly. I look at my blood-covered hands and sigh. "Ah , yes. I ..." I falter. "I-I stabbed a man... He's in my kitchen. I-" I can't believe I just told the police this. What am I thinking?

She falters "you- you stabbed someone?" Concern laced her voice. "It was an accident... Well it wasn't but... He was attacking me and had me at gun point. I was defending myself?" It came out as more of a question.

What have I gotten myself into?