23. I could have died!

I drop the radio after giving the lady all the information I needed to and slide out of the police car. I didn't want to go back inside. I sit on the curb and put my head in my hands.

Within minutes, I could hear police sirens and sooner than I had expected, two more police cars and two ambulances arrives. Three policemen approach the door, guns raised. They enter the house while a paramedic lifts one of the dead police officers onto a stretcher. 

One of the officers helps me up and begins to question me and everything that happened. I explained what had happened at Bruce Wayne's party last night and then continued to explain every detail of my dad since the second I woke up early this morning. 

So basically, the next few events only scared me even more. Turns out the police searched the entire house and couldn't find a single trace of the stabbed man in my kitchen. There was no man, no blood, no knife, nothing. Not to mention the two dead officers and the fact that I notified the police from one of their radios.

I look guilty. 

**********

Down at the police station, I explain for the fifth time exactly what happened. Multiple different officers and investigators had been in and out of the interrogation room where I was waiting. I had been at the police station for around about five hours since the incident. Finally, my parents had decided to show up, feigning concern. I already knew that they were going to absolutely scream at me for this. 

Another woman comes in,wearing a suit with her hair pulled back into an immaculate bun. She sits down in front of me and opens a file, reading through something. She looks up at me and opens her mouth to speak but I beat her too it. "I look guilty, don't I?" I drop my head and hold back the sobs threatening to come out. She stays quiet. 

"I swear I didn't hurt them. I would never! I couldn't! It was the man from the Wayne's party, he-he-" I stutter before she silences me. "Harleen. I don't think you killed the police officers" She states slowly before she continues. "But yes, you do seem relatively guilty at this stage. You have no evidence to back your statements and there was no trace of the man having been stabbed in your kitchen" She states. I stay silent. I don't know what to say. None of it makes any sense to me. I can't even comprehend how he could have gotten up and walked out after being stabbed and managed to clean up all the remains of blood all over the kitchen floor without leaving a single trace and made it out of the house through the back and got off the property without me or anyone else noticing. Its almost like it didnt even happen. But it did. I know it did. I had his blood on my hands. He killed the officers before he found me. 

I just don't know how to prove it yet. 

"One of the officers actually managed to survive" She says with a small smile. My mouth drops open. "Really? Is he okay? Can he talk?" I ask, my mood brightening just a little bit. If the officer could recover enough to back me up and prove my innocence that they could let me go and focus on catching the other guy rather than trying to interrogate me. 

"He is in hospital in a self-induced coma for now but when he is back we will be able to talk to him, see how much he remembers" She closes her file and pushes her chair in. "Until then, you have to stay here. You can wait in the main room with your parents if you'd like" She suggests pushing her chair in. I get up and follow her out of the interrogation unit and to the waiting room where my parents were sat, reading a magazine. 

"Harleen! I have been so worried about you, my dear!" My mother gets out of her chair and rushes to me, enveloping me into a bear hug. "Officer, do you mind if we speak to our daughter outside for a moment? Just about some personal family matters concerning her" My mother flashes a bright smile. What she really means is she is taking me outside so then she doesn't have to embarrass me and herself and put out a bad name for our family in front of people.

I guess it is good in a way but I would simply rather her not yell at me at all to be honest.  "Of course, Mrs. Quinzell. Take as long as you would like" The officer steps away from us and walks off through the doorway. My mom grabs my arm tightly and drags me out of the room and through the main entrance. My dad stays seated, not even bothering to glance at me. We stop just outside the police station and my mother turns to face me. 

"What the hell were you thinking Harleen!" She glares at me. "What?" I ask, genuinely confused.  What does she mean 'what was I thinking'. I stabbed at man that holding me at gunpoint and then found two dead police officers and used their police radio to call for help. What does she think she would have done in that situation?

"Do you know what kind of dirt this throws on our name? Do you know what people have been saying since the night of the party? It's embarrassing Harleen! And you don't care one little bit!" She yells in an exasperated tone. 

"You're kidding me, right?" I ask with a dry laugh. She doesn't answer and places a hand on her hip, shaking her head in disgust. "Whatever" I turn and try to walk away but her grip on my arm remains strong. 

"Don't you use that tone with me young lady! Don't you see how you look right now? How you are acting?" She pinches her eyes shut in annoyance. I feel my blood boiling as I lose it. 

"So what, mom? What do you want me to say? I'm sorry? I didn't mean to disappoint you? Well guess what mother? I could have freaking died today. It has been such a horrible week and you haven't been there for me through any of it. You don't care at all! I had a gun pointed at my head at the party and you guys didn't make sure I was alright! I had to call the police after I stabbed a man in our kitchen and the found two dead officers in the car that was parked outside our house. God only knows where you and dad were during all of this. Not even once did you call to make sure that I was okay, not once! And now here you are, making me feel like compete trash after everything that has happened, and all you can think about is what the public will think? You have never been around my entire life, you only want to see me when it suits you, and now you think you can pull that mother card with me? Well you can't! So just get out of my face, okay!" And with that, I wrench my arm from her grip and storm back inside the police station, right through the waiting room and found a bench against the side of the main room. 

I fight back the tears threatening to spill as I focus on my breathing. I can't even express how good it feels to have said that to her. I hope it hurt her as much as it hurt me.