24. Your joking

I don't know how long I had been sitting there for but it felt like it had been hours. I had been thinking about everything I said to my mother. I didn't regret it. She needed to hear it, whether she is going to change or not. 

Suddenly a loud bang and shouts came from entrance as three police officers drag a man in handcuffs into the station. I make eye contact with the man in restraints and my jaw drops. It is the man that I stabbed in my kitchen. He smirks at me as the police drag him to the holding cell and throw him in.

What do I do? Should I go tell on of the officers that he is the man that killed the police officers outside my house? Or do they already know that? Is that why he is here? The woman that had informed me that one of the officers was still alive walks out of the office and makes her way towards me. I could feel the man's eyes on me the whole time. 

"Harleen? Are you alright? You look startled..." She takes a seat next to me on the bench. 

"I... Ah... He is the man that killed them" I gesture to the guy in the holding cell.  She glances over and gets off the bench. "Excuse me for a second." She walks over to one of the police officers that brought him in. I wish I could hear what they were speaking about. 

She looks between the man and I and winces. He was still staring at me while I kept my eyes on the ground, avoiding his gaze. 

She comes back and takes her place next to me on the bench once again. "That man has just been brought in for assaulting an officer, one of the officers that was called out to your house after the incident. We will have a talk with him." She states. She gets back up and walks to the holding cell, leaving me alone on the bench. 

After about an hour, she comes back out of the interrogation room. "Good knews, Joseph here has confessed to everything, claiming that he did in fact kill both officers and break into your house and threaten you. His story matches yours." I let out a sigh of relief. 

So basically, 'Joseph', or the guy that killed the officers, confessed to everything that involved me that he did and was now waiting in a jail cell for his court hearing.

I exit the police station and wave down a taxi. The drive back home was silent. I used the time to think over everything that has happened. I sigh. It's sad to believe that there are people like Joseph out there, especially in gotham. The crime rates have only gone up as I have gotten older. 

I must have gotten lost in my train of thought because the driver of the cab snapped his fingers in front of my face. "That will be 20$" He states, holding out his hand. I pay him and stumble out of the car. 

The police cars, ambulances, officers and medical equipment were gone. I didn't exactly expect it to still be sprawled across the front lawn but it just seemed weird seeing the house so quiet and normal after everything that had happened. The house was in the exact same state as before when I opened the door. I walked straight up to my bedroom and closed the door behind me, jumping on my bed and curling up under the comforter. 

I don't know how long I lie there for before my eyes flutter closed.