Chapter 18

"It's not Dyson's fault." I pressed my open palms against Jared's chest, however, the said guy refused to allow me to move for even an inch.

"No," Dyson said from somewhere behind my back, which made me want to shove my shoe into his mouth. "He's right. I should have kept a better watch on you. I—"

"And do what? No one could have known about the peanuts."

"Peanuts?" Jared pushed me far enough from him, so he could run his eyes down my body. "Aren't you allergic to them?"

"I'm fine."

"Someone tried to poison her," Dyson cut in.

"What?" Jared's hold on my upper arms tightened, making me feel like he was trying to cut off my blood circulation.

"Brax." A third voice interrupted us before either Dyson or I could respond.

Gamma Ortiz stopped a step away from us.

"Dyson?" He glanced at Dyson and then me. "Luna. What's going on?"

"Someone tried to poison the Luna," Dyson repeated.

"It wasn't like that." I twisted my head around and glared at him. "It was a mistake."

"Who puts peanuts into a lemonade by mistake?"

At Dyson's words both Jared and Ortiz stiffened. While Jared's eyes began to darken, Ortiz's began to widen. Then again, I was surprised he even reacted to the news of my allergic reaction. Judging from his behavior until now, I expected him to reward the person who had prepared the lemonade.

"What the hell happened?" Jared's cold bark had all of our eyes snapping back to him.

"The Luna had—what did Dr. Walsh call it—an allergic reaction to a lemonade you supposedly prepared for her."

"What?"

The pointed look Dyson shot me screamed I told you so. Apparently Jared really hadn't been the one who prepared the lemonade for me.

"There was a note with that said..."

My words died down when I noticed Jared's vibrating state. His entire body was shaking, which caused his fingers to dig even deeper into my upper arms. Instead of focusing on the pain though, I found myself questioning his reaction. He couldn't possibly be forming the same ridiculous conclusion that Dyson had already drawn. No one had intentionally contaminated the lemonade. It was nothing but a misunderstanding.

"It was—" I began.

"Don't you dare say it was a mistake."

Jared tightened his hold for another fraction and this time I wasn't able to hold back a wince. The second he saw my reaction, he let go of me, but his eyes remained ink black.

"I informed the entire pack that they were to get rid of any traces of peanuts. Whoever prepared the lemonade, defied my order."

The squished state my stomach was in loosened as it dawned on me why Jared was so angry. It wasn't because of my allergic reaction, but because someone had disobeyed him. I just hoped he didn't blame me for the insubordination of one of his werewolves.

"It's not my fault—"

"Of course, it's not your fault. Don't be stupid." His words would have stung, if he wasn't actually reassuring me that he didn't blame me. "I'm going to kill whoever did this."

I glanced at Dyson and Ortiz to talk some sense into Jared, however, both of them continued to stare at him with shut mouths.

"You can't just kill somebody."