Chapter 31

My saving grace turned out to be Sasha, who grabbed my upper arm and forced me to face her. Inside my head I screamed for her to get a shot of adrenaline from the pack doctor. Yet all that came out of my mouth was another cough.

Instead, Sasha pushed a small bottle to my lips and ordered me to drink it. I viciously shook my head, while trying to mind-link Jared for help. How could she not see that I couldn't breathe, let alone swallow whatever she thought I needed to drink?

Sasha, however, ignored my weak protest and forced the liquid down my throat. Instead of easing my pain, the liquid caused me to start coughing even more violently.

Seconds ticked by before I finally realized that while the cough still persisted, I could now breathe again. The muscles in my throat unclenched and I greedily reached for as much air as possible.

Only when I was sure that I wouldn't suffocate, did I notice the silent tears streaming down my cheeks. I quickly wiped them away, while ignoring the trembling in my hands.

"What... was... that?" I rasped out.

"It's a potion that binds whatever poison is in your blood stream." Sasha sank down onto Dyson's chair and then pulled out another bottle from the purple pouch strapped to her hip. "Now, we have to wait and see if the poison will work on me as well. I didn't drink as much of the water as you, but one can never be sure."

"Poison?" I shook my head. "It's wasn't a poison. It was an allergic reaction. I'm guessing there were peanuts in the water."

"Allergic reaction?" Sasha furrowed her eyebrows. "I think I've heard of those before. They're a human conditions, aren't they?"

Before I could open my mouth to explain, Jared barged into the room. He pulled the chair I was still sitting on away from the table and crouched down in front of me.

"Thank the Goddess. Are you're okay?"

"I'm fine." I quickly reassured him and brushed my fingers along his cheek. "Apparently Sasha's potion works just as good as an EpiPen."

Wordlessly he pulled me up from the chair and wrapped me in a tight hug. The second I noticed the tremble in his body, I wrapped my arms around him and ran my hand up and down his back.

"I'm fine," I repeated.

"What the hell happened?"

"I thought it was poison, but Naia said it was only a human allergic reaction," Sasha said from behind my back.

"Allergic reaction?" Jared pushed me away from his body, and instead wrapped his hands around my upper arms. "Did you eat peanuts?"

"She didn't," Sasha said before I could. "She only drank a glass of water."

"Who gave you this water?" Jared's voice turned into a soft whisper, which clashed with his darkening eyes and sharpening canines.

"Ortiz," I whispered.

A loud growl tore its way out of Jared's throat as his eyes formed into two pitch black circles.

"Whoa!" Molly appeared in the open doorway of the dining room. "What's going on? Who pissed him off this time?"

"Bring me Ortiz!"

His booming roar caused me to flinch and inch an unconscious step backwards. However, instead of in fear from his shaking figure, I moved away because of the volume of his shout. If I had stood any closer to him, my eardrums might have exploded.

"What is—" Ortiz appeared in the open doorway next to Molly.

In the blink of an eye, Jared crossed the room and wrapped his hand around the former Gamma's throat. Without even a drop of sweat he lifted the said guy into the air and began to squeeze.