Chapter 32

I expected to be met with a peacefully sleeping Jared the moment I woke up. The other side of his bed, however, was still empty by the time I opened my eyes. His pillow had no dent in it, which told me he hadn't yet returned.

His absence could only mean that the search party hadn't yet returned. Knowing that Larry was somewhere out there in danger made it hard for me to breathe. More than anything I wanted to help him, but there wasn't anything I could do.

With my eyes focused on the ceiling I continued to lay in the middle of the bed. The longer I stayed there, the further my thoughts traveled, until they landed on a topic I had been trying to avoid ever since yesterday.

I couldn't comprehend how I had missed that my father, my cousin and my younger sister were hunters. The signs had, after all, been there this entire time. From Dad's refusal to tell me what he did for a living, to his long absences when he had claimed he was traveling for work. Or how with time Aiko had become more and more withdrawn as well and soon developed secrets of her own.

I didn't know what to think anymore.

Back then I had been hurt by their close relationships and would have done anything to become a part of their world. Now, however, I understood that had I joined them, I would have become a hunter.

A hunter who would have seen Jared as my enemy and not as the love of my life.

At the same time, I couldn't imagine not falling in love with him. Let alone a life without him. In such a short time he had become an integral component of my life. I knew for sure that my heart would never be the same if I were to be separated from him.

Before my thoughts could sink any lower, I jumped out of bed. I refused to wallow in self-pity while waiting here for Jared to return. My heart may belong to him, but that didn't mean that my life ceased to exist if he wasn't with me.

The moment I arrived downstairs the front door opened and Molly entered the pack house.

"Morning, Luna." She ran her hand through her messy ponytail. "Before you ask, no Jared's not back yet. And no, I don't know when he'll return."

"Am I that predictable?"

"When it comes to your mate? Yes. But same goes for every other mate out there. You're all so predictable when it comes to your mates."

"Just wait and see." Despite the dark cloud hanging above my head, I couldn't stop the side of my lips from tugging upwards. "I bet you'll be just like the rest of us the moment you meet your mate."

Molly opened her mouth, but before she could utter a single word, she snapped her eyes to the background behind me. I followed her gaze and found Mrs. Braxton descending the last flight of stairs.

"Morning, Mrs. Braxton," I greeted her.

The older woman, however, had her eyes narrowed at Molly. Or more exactly on the purple bruises covering Molly's otherwise perfectly flat and muscular stomach.

"Morning, Mom." The cheerful greeting was coated with a frosty undertone. "Isn't it a beautiful morning? Perfect for a round of training."

Mrs. Braxton pursed her lips into a tight line and then disappeared down the hallway without as much as a glance in my direction.

"What's going on?" I whispered.

Despite Mrs. Braxton disappearance out of our vision, I wasn't sure just how far her enhanced hearing stretched.

"It's about me, so don't take her cold attitude personally. I'm sure she'll welcome you as our official Luna the moment I'm out of your sight. And, of course, she'll immediately launch into a description of your duties as the Blue Moon Luna. Moon Goddess knows, how much she loves her rules."