Chapter 29

I stood in front of the full-length mirror in Jared's room, and took in my changed appearance. From the freshly washed hair, styled in a braid; the smudge of mascara darkening my eyelashes, to my manicured toenails tucked inside a pair of flats. Then there was the dress; a beautiful sleeveless white dress with a deep V-neck that showed only a peak of my décolletage. The top was a detailed flowery lace, reaching to my hips, while the bottom consisted of a flowy skirt, which ended mid-thigh.

The most important detail, however, was that the dress fitted me perfectly. Not just well, but like it had been made specifically for me. It was too big of a coincidence to believe in, but no matter whom I asked, no one told me anything. A part of me though, was sure that Sasha had her fingers mixed into it.

I had always thought that the only occasion I would wear a white dress like this to would be my own wedding. Yet here I was in a snow-white dress, not about to get married. Then again, Molly had already explained that for werewolves an acceptance celebration as a Luna was more binding than a human wedding. So, in a way this was even more important than my wedding.

Her explanation made me not only a thousand times more nervous, but it also made me sad. Thoughts about my wedding made me also think about my parents. They would never know I had found a real life-lasting love.

A treacherous tear slipped down my cheek and I quickly whipped it away.

"What did you do?" Mrs. Braxton appeared in the open doorway of Jared's bedroom.

She wasn't glaring at me, but at her own daughter, who was sprawled on her stomach across Jared's king-sized bed.

"I didn't do anything," Molly said. "She has been staring at the mirror for at least ten minutes, and then she suddenly started to cry. I never even opened my mouth."

"It wasn't Molly's fault." I turned toward the older woman and forced my lips into a wobbly smile. "I was just thinking of my parents."

"Oh, I'm so sorry child." Mrs. Braxton crossed the room to me and patted me on my shoulder. "I'm sure your parents would be extremely proud of you right now."

I cringed at her words, but then quickly covered it up with a smile. Because my father had been a hunter, I doubted he would be proud of me becoming the Luna of a werewolf pack. But there was no need to remind any of them of that.

"You look beautiful," Mrs. Braxton continued. "And just in time."

My heartbeat accelerated and my palms began to sweat. I still got sick every time I remembered why exactly we were doing this. Knowing that everyone knew Jared and I had sex was beyond awkward. But to actually celebrate it, was light years away from only cringe worthy.

"Molly, it's time for us to leave." Mrs. Braxton said and made her way toward the door.

"Coming." Molly jumped off the bed, but then stopped me when I was about to follow Mrs. Braxton. "Not you, Naia. You need to wait for your guide to lead you through the forest."

"I don't need a guide." I groaned, but remained rooted to my spot. "I know exactly where the clearing is."

"Don't blame me." Molly lifted her arms into the air. "I'm only following Jared's orders. Good luck."

Before I could reply, she disappeared out of the room. I glared at the now empty doorway and promised myself that one day I would prove to these werewolves that I had a better sense of direction than they believed.

"Sorry, I'm late Luna."

In the doorway appeared a young girl, who couldn't be more than seven years old. She was fumbling with the front of her light blue dress, and peeking up at me through a mess of blonde curls. Despite it having been a rather long time, I instantly recognized her. She was, after all, the little girl I had for a moment thought was Mrs. Braxton's daughter.