𝟏 | 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐒 𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐖

LOS ANGELES, CA— 2005

          BOOGIE FUMBLED WITH HER yellow highlighter in her hand as she read intently throughout chapter twenty-one of her AP government & politics textbook like a fine-tooth comb. She jotted down every important context and summarized each main and sub paragraphs in her blue college ruled notebook.

The countdown for senior graduation was near ending for Boogie and Ermias and she couldn't wait to receive her diploma and throw her cap in the air. Ermias on the other hand, didn't feel any excitement in being a Hamilton High School graduate let alone pleased with a corrupted school system that was designed for most African American adolescents to fail. Though Ermias hardly ever made an appearance to class, he was knowledgeable— in a different way.

The two friends accompanied Ermias's rooftop, eyeing the distant lighting from the Staples Center. His head restlessly situated on her lap as he enjoyed the high of his sixth blunt for the day. Boogie began lacking concentration to finish her work. She covered her mouth and nose with her school uniform top, signaling Ermias to put out the rest of his blunt but he didn't acknowledge her.

"Ahem." said Boogie, clearing her throat.

Ermias looked up at her, "Oh, I'm still not allowed to smoke around ya?" Boogie smacked her lips, "Come on now, E. You know how my folks can be when they get slightest idea of us hanging out." she said.

Ermias sighed, "Well, looks like you gon' be getting that ass whooped tonight!" he chuckled.

Boogie rolled her eyes at Ermias's remark, closing her textbook. She rotated her neck in a stretching motion considering she's been sitting up in the same position for at least an hour and a half. Seeing that Ermias still hadn't put out his blunt, she flicked him on his ear. He immediately caught an attitude.

"Man! What the fuck was that for, my nigga?" Ermias questioned. Boogie sighs, "Can you please put it out?"

"Give me a legit reason why and I'll think about it." Ermias exhaled the smoke. "Mhm."

Silence fell between Boogie and Ermias as she fell quickly into meditation. Her thick, lifeless wand curls complimented her facial structure while Ermias adored her. "Lookin' a little tired there, ugly. You finish ya' shit?"

Boogie nodded, "For now."

Ermias finally tossed his weed butt a few feet away on the rooftop, standing to his feet. He embraced Boogie with a hug around her waist. She yawned in slight exhaustion, "Did you get your cap and gown yet? The deadline is in two weeks."

"Boogie, I already told you. I'm not goin' to graduation." Ermias spoke. "Yes, I know that but why not just get it? Who knows you might decide to change your mind."

"First off, why would I spend some bread that I don't have for some shit that I ain't gon' put to use?" Ermias asked. "Just think of it as a souvenir."

Ermias gave her a really nigga stare for her remark.

"You know I have no problem buying it for you if money's an issue." Boogie offered. "Chill out, my nigga."

She sighs, "E? I'm serious."

Ermias disliked having certain conversations with Boogie, but he always managed to listen.

"Look, I understand what you sayin' and all but you know this school shit just ain't for me." he said.

"And the streets are, right?" Ermias sighed, "Save that privileged talk for somebody else, nigga."

"Excuse you? Privileged? E, I was raised on this very same block as you, so don't throw that privileged crap up in my face." Boogie voiced

Ermias chuckled, "You went all Beverly Hills on a nigga." he emphasized as he gathered his durag letting it fall before him from his neck. Boogie playfully punched his chest, "You're so annoying!" she voiced in laughter. "I'm beginning to think that so-called girlfriend of yours is having a bad influence on you."

Ermias smiled, "Sounding like moms right now." He continued, "What do you want me to do, Boog?" he asked crossing his lanky arms in front of him.

"I want you to walk across the stage with me, E."

"Only if you help me change the world." said Ermias.

"Bet."

"Bet."