𝟑 | 𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐈𝐒 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐋

AFTER A WEEKEND FILLED with great news, it was the beginning of a new week of school. Ermias and Boogie spent the remaining Sunday evening with one another, conversing anything that came to their minds. After many years of friendship, both still find something new about one another each day. It was the end of third period with the sound of the bell as Boogie gathered her erratic amount of class assignments and textbooks in a rush before trudging out into the hallway of chaos.

She maneuvered through the crowds of her peers before coming to a slow stop at her locker. There, Ermias, stood with Tanisha Foster, smiling from ear to ear, as her back pressed hard against his top locker which was only a few feet away. Boogie had known Tanisha well throughout her years of high school and so has every other student— she was very popular and had all of Ermias's attention. Not only Ermias had been attracted to Tanisha because of her glamour, she was the daughter of the head man in charge of the Rolling 60's.

Seeing Tanisha in the presence of Ermias had given Boogie a queasy feeling. She was in competition with a gang leader's daughter. After moments of gathering her courage, Boogie finally made her way over in their direction with high spirits. "Hey, E." she gulped, tucking her textbook closer to her chest.

"Oh, wassup, my nigga." Ermias smiles, greeting back as he reached out for a side hug. Boogie embraced it. "Hey, Nish, you know Boog, ri—"

"Lauren." she interrupted Ermias. Boogie smiled with a closed mouth as she offered Tanisha a handshake.

"Hey, girl!" she greeted with excitement. Tanisha pulled Boogie into a tight hug that caught her well by surprise. "I'm sorry, I'm not trying to creep you out or anything. I'm just a hugger." said Tanisha, smiling. Boogie continued, "Oh, no, you're absolutely fine. I hope I'm not interrupting anything, but can I borrow your man for a second?" she asks.

"Yeah, go ahead. I gotta go anyways. Catch you later, Nip."

Tanisha's high heel sandals clicked along the hallway floors as she departed away from Ermias, following a light tug at his blue pro-club. Boogie turned on her heels in one motion with her attention on Ermias. "Catch you later, Nip?" Who the hell is Nip? No, better yet, What the hell is a Nip?" Boogie continuously asked, but confused.

Ermias laughed, "If you don't calm yo' ass down, my nigga. It ain't nothin'." he shrugged. "Oh, I'm very calm. That should be the least of your worries right now." she said, folding her arms. Boogie continued, "Who would've thought the mysterious woman was Miss Tanisha Foster? What a pleasant surprise." she said sarcastically.

Ermias ignored her response while searching for a textbook in his locker. He knew Boogie would have a mouthful of negative things to say about Tanisha, so he knew he'd have to prepare for it as soon as she found out— eventually.

"Do you even know who she is? What her family does?" She continued, "Is the pussy that good for you to be this dumb?"

"Man, I don't know who the fuck you think you talkin' to but you need to chill the fuck out, nigga." Ermias nonchalantly said.

"I don't need to do not a goddamn thing." Boogie spat. "You're messing around with this clown of a female who's going to do nothing but get you in trouble and you're so fucking blind, you can't even see that."

"Does it look like I give a fuck about what you think? Whoever I stick my dick in ain't none of ya' business."

"You know what, fuck you, E!" Boogie spat once more, walking away from Ermias.

The three-minute bell that signaled the start of the fourth period rang out loud, cueing students to file out of the hallway and into their next class. Seconds before Boogie was able to reach her Econ class, Ermias had a full grip on her forearm, rushing her into the empty northeast stairwell. "You need to fix yo' attitude, my nigga."

"Let me go, Ermias."

"What do you expect me to do, Boog? Huh?" Ermias continues, "Wait for you to come home from college and pick up where we left off?" He questioned.

"Wait for me to come home? I'm going to UCLA, remember?" Ermias shook his head in disagreement, "No, you ain't. I can tell ya' yo' folks ain't havin' that."

Ermias had known Boogie staying close to home for the next four years of college was too good to be true, knowing her parents has a specific plan for her education and the rest of her life. "No, I'm g—going to UCLA!" Tears began to well up in Boogie's eyes

"It's okay, Boog. You go to New York and do what makes you happy, but in the meantime I deserve to be happy too. Tanisha makes me happy." said Ermias.

He continues, "We walk these halls everyday and everybody's happy for you, but who's happy for me? Apparently you ain't."

Ermias gradually stepped away from Boogie before turning around, leaving her in the stairwell by her lonesome. She broke into tears.