𝟓.𝟓 | 𝐌𝐀𝐊𝐄 𝐈𝐓 𝐔𝐏 𝐓𝐎 𝐘𝐎𝐔

THE AFTERNOON ENDED FAIRLY in a blur according to Ermias as he sat across from Boogie with his diploma case lying flat upon his lap. The chairs around them were empty while other students crowded the football field in reuniting with their family. Boogie was nonchalantly in her own little world removing some of the confetti from her hair.

"My nigga Boogie! What's up wit' it though!" Ermias smiled, playfully tapping her thigh.

"Oh, stop it." said Boogie, blushing with a smirk. She stood to her feet as she managed to not get her stiletto heels stuck within the damp grass.

"So, where yo' folks at?" Ermias asked as he instinctively looked over his shoulder. "They couldn't make it, of course. They're on a business trip in Europe for the next two weeks." she voiced with the it is what it is body language.

Ermias nodded in understanding. "You know, yo' pops an' all hate a nigga's guts." He chuckled, reminiscing an old memory. "He doesn't hate you, no. It's just that thing he's married to. She acts like she's both of our mothers." Boogie rolled her eyes in disgust, referencing her step mother.

Boogie never found the usage of hosting her family matters up for discussion nor confiding in anyone about them, not even Ermias. Besides her father being a Jewish investment banker, he knew nothing else about him.

Within a matter of seconds, Ermias' 85 year-old grandmother cried out as she approached him with a graceful hug filled with congratulations. His mother, brother, and sister soon followed suit.

"We couldn't be more proud of you, Ermias." says his grandmother before turning towards Boogie. She embraced her with a hug as well along with the rest of his family. "You two finally did it. I'm so proud!" says Angelique as she captured photos on her phone.

"Thank you, grandma." Boogie says. "And Ms. Smith."

"Sweetheart, you've been knowing me too damn long to still be calling me Ms. Smith. You know to call me Angelique... or Angel, whichever is easier for you." she suggested with confidence. "What do you two have planned after this? Would you like to join us for dinner tonight, Lauren?"

"Oh, I'm so sorry, but I can't. I have to get home to pack for New York." Boogie continued, "And speaking of which, my bus should be here any minute now." she said eyeing the time on her phone. She grabbed her belongings while quickly voicing her farewells to Ermias and his family and disappearing into the crowd.

Before departing off of the campus property, Boogie detoured into the west end hallway. Her heels echoed along the concrete as she approached her hall locker in attempt to retrieve a couple of books. Boogie closed the locker door to noticed her soon being approached by Tanisha.

Really, God? She thought to herself.

"Hey, Lauren, girl." Tanisha spoke in greeting. Boogie smiled, "Tanisha? Hey, how are you?" she asks clutching her books at her side.

 Boogie smiled, "Tanisha? Hey, how are you?" she asks clutching her books at her side