𝟗 | 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐋𝐀𝐌𝐄 𝐆𝐀𝐌𝐄

BOOGIE RUSHED THROUGH THE automatic doors of UCLA Medical Center into the lobby that wasn't occupied by merrily anyone during the hour. Specks of Ermias' blood stained her t-shirt, hands, and face—partially. Boogie walked with stride as she approached the reception desk, seeing a muslim woman covered in a hijab just years older than her. Any stranger would notice this was the woman's first job the way she timidly sat behind the desktop monitors.

"Good morning ma'am and welcome to UC—" the hospital employee greeted, but was disrupted.

"I'm here to see a patient who should've been brought here into the ER. Ermias Asghedom." said Boogie as she impatiently tapped her stained, partially wet fingers while looking over her shoulders and down the hallways.

The woman immediately reverted her attention to the monitors as she typed the information that was given, "Okay, ma'am. May I ask the reason for the patient's transport?" she asks, unable to keep eye contact with Boogie.

"He was s-shot." she choked.

Boogie was a horrendous mess. Her face swelled due to her uncontrollable tears, her brain ached, feeling like it was going to explode any minute, her clothes were filthy, and all she could do was constantly remind herself that what happened couldn't be real— only failing to realize that her appearance spoke otherwise.

"Okay, ma'am, I'm showing that he is still currently in the emergency room and he has not been admitted yet. If you can kindly wait in the lobby unt—"

"Do you know how long it'll be before he's out of the ER?" Boogie asked, interrupting again.

"Ma'am, I'm sorry b—"

"How long, goddammit?!" she yelled, slamming her palm against the desk.

"Ma'am, I'm afraid I don't know, now will you please take this bracelet and have a seat in the lobby? A doctor will be with you shortly." the receptionist advised.

Holding the bracelet with both hands, the receptionist placed the paper bracelet around Boogie's wrist, sealing it by removing the peel.

She turned around on her heels, scanning the lobby with her eyes to mentally choose which seat she wanted to sit in when she was taken aback by the familiar voice of her father.

"Lauren, sweetheart, there you are!" said John, sighing in relief as he quickly embraced his daughter with a tight hug. Not far behind was John's wife, Nicole, as she casually strolled in with her arms at her sides. John continued, "Thank God you're okay. Nicole and I just got off the red-eye and the police had the entire street blocked off. What happened? Why are you covered in blood, sweetheart?"

Boogie shamefully gazed up at her father with a single tear falling down her right cheekbone, "T-They shot him, dad." she stuttered. "Shot who?" John asked in obvious confusion, searching his daughter's eyes for answers.

"That damn boy from her school, John." Nicole abruptly voiced with emphasis, scoffing.

"Ermias?" John questioned. Boogie nodded in agreement. He sighs deeply while looking at the building's ceiling, appalled at the news he was receiving. John tried his best to comfort his daughter, leading her to chair in the lobby.

"I need to call his mom." said Boogie, fumbling to get ahold of her cell phone.

Nicole scoffed once more, "You shouldn't have been around this boy in the first damn place and time and time again you go behind our back sneaking around with him and now you probably cost him his life."

"Enough, Nicole!" John yelled.

A sense of disgust displayed in Boogie's eyes as she stood up to her feet in the attention of Nicole. "You know what, I wish my father would've never married your sorry ass." She continued, "I just witnessed a tragedy and now is far from the time for your fucking antics, so why don't you shut the fuck up for once before I do it for you?"

Nicole was flabbergasted as her mouth dropped with exaggeration. "John, control your daughter!" she voiced stomping her heel into the tile flooring.

"No." he said monotonously. "Maybe you should be quiet." John reverted his attention back to Boogie, seeing Angelique coming out from the east hallway with Dawit, his hands consolidating his wife to his best ability.

"Angel?" John questioned with uncertainty, gradually standing to his feet. "John?" she responded, taken aback.

"Oh, my God, Lauren." Angelique cried as she stepped forth to embrace Boogie with gratifying hug. "I'm so glad your alright, honey."

"John, thank you for being here." she immediately pulled Boogie's father into a hug as well. "Anything you need, Angel. My family is here for your family."

It was noticeable that Angelique and John were very fond of each other. In fact, they attended the same high school together with the including of Boogie's biological mother as well. John proceeded on to greeting Dawit as they respectfully shook hands with one another. He introduces Nicole as his wife to Ermias' parents, graciously expressing her sympathy.

"Please join the rest of our family down the hall. I'm sure it would mean a lot for Ermias to feel our presence while he's going through surgery." Angelique voiced with a struggling closed-mouth smile.

"Anything for you." said John.

Angelique and Dawit led the path of direction down the hall where it was accompanied by a multitude of family members and friends, and Tanisha— who was seated next to Dominic. Tanisha and Boogie locked eyes immediately. Dominic immediately risen to his feet to greet and comfort Boogie with a hug, grasping onto her hand to stand with him on the opposite side of the wall.

Tanisha and Boogie couldn't keep their eyes off of each other for a second and the tension was felt. She rubbed her growing belly in circular motions with a smirk that had Boogie boiling on the inside. The act of dead silence was amongst everyone with the only thing being heard were the voices chiming in over the hospital intercom.

"So, how's your pregnancy coming along?" Lauren asked, breaking the silence within the hallway.

"Pretty great, I must say." Tanisha responded with a smile. She continued. "I'm sorry we had to meet again on these terms."

"Yeah, me too." Boogie continued, "I'm going to go change my clothes." she said walking away and out of the hallway. Dominic followed her out of the hallway and into the still-empty lobby.

"Yo, Boogaloo, you straight?" he asks with a concerning tone in his voice. "No, I'm not alright." Boogie sighs nearly on the verge of tears.

"I can't believe I'm about to tell you this, but Tanisha is the reason why Ermias is clinging onto his life right now. I can feel it in my bones."

"Whoa, whoa, wait a minute, Boog. I get that you don't like the girl but this is deep as fuck what you're saying." said Dominic being taken aback.

"I was there Dominic! Who's blood do you think this is?" Boogie said grasping onto her stained t-shirt. She continued, "I was with him before he dropped me off at home. I heard the gunshots, okay? I-I ran outside and when the guy heard me scream, he shot him."

Dominic sighed as he paced back and forth, "Alright, I get that you were there, but what does that have to do with Tanisha?"

Boogie exhaled to subside her frustration, "How did you find out he was shot in the first place?" she asked.

"Tanisha called me and told me, duh, nigga. She said he was shot somewhere in Beverly Hills." Dominic said.

"Ermias hadn't talked to the girl all evening, so how would have she even known about the shooting or even where it took place?"

Dominic's eyes slightly widened as he mentally tried connecting the dots. This was a sign to Boogie that he understood why she was explaining to him.

"That girl is a snake."

until next time peeps...

don't forget to follow my newly writer's portal on instagram @novelsbybrunzei for announcements, updates, etc!.