𝟖 | 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐆𝐈𝐍𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐎𝐅 𝐁𝐄𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐄𝐃

AFTER AN EVENING FILLED with a rollercoaster of emotions, it was apparent that Boogie was ready to head home for the remainder of the night. Her subconscious raced swiftly while as she settled apprehensively within the passenger seat of Ermias' car. The easy, cool wind dried the nervous moisture from her forehead quickly enough to not be recognized.

More unusual silences cascaded between the two friends and unfortunately, Boogie has yet to understand the reason for the subtle awkwardness between them.

Just say something to him, anything. Boogie thought.

Boogie's head relaxed along the door panel, finding herself in a trance as she gazed out at the nightlife of the vibrant city. Ermias' attention transpired back and forth from the road to his friend while he enjoyed the savoring moment of his blunt— as always.

"What's got yo' ass all quiet over there?" Ermias blurted without hesitation. Boogie sighed, "Nothing really. I'm just feeling a little tired, that's all." she said, glancing at the time on her phone that read 2:17am.

"My bad for keepin' you out all night. I know that ain't really yo' thing." said Ermias, exhaling the marijuana smoke. "It's okay. I really enjoyed myself tonight." Boogie smiled. She continued, "Your family... t-they're good people and you should be lucky to have them in your life."

"I 'preciate that, for real." Ermias responded. "You're welcome." said Boogie redirecting her attention to the world. The purring resonance of Ermias' car engine subdued the silence throughout their lengthy drive from South Central to Beverly Hills.

"Can I ask you something?" Boogie abruptly voiced. "Yeah, what's up wit' you?"

Boogie waited a moment before she decided to speak, "Our phone call early today... where were you?"

"I was wit' one of the homies." Ermias responded, switching his driving hand. "And which friend was that?" Boogie asked propping her elbow upon the center console.

"Dom."

Boogie inclined with the nodding of her head in understanding. "Oh, o-okay." She continued, "I don't mean to be all up in your business, E. I just thought I'd ask because it sounded like you were pretty busy this morning." she gently smiled with a closed mouth.

"You believe me, right?" Ermias asked, slowly preparing for a stop at a light signal. "Do you think I should believe you?" Boogie asked looking up from her lap.

"On hood, you should." Ermias gradually continued through the green light signal, proceeding down a few blocks more before approaching the entrance gate of Boogie's home. Ermias gradually placed his car in the parking gear, following to switching it off.

Boogie eyed his every little movements until their eye contact was met. "So, this is it, huh?" Ermias asked. "For now, I suppose. It's been a hectic twenty-four hours." she said running her hand down the side of her face in the direction of her chin.

Ermias nodded, chuckling, "I feel you on that. It has been a lil' rough." He continued, "When we gon' kick it again, my nigga?

Boogie shrugged, stepping out of the car.

"Wait a minute! Hol' up, lil' mama!" Ermias shrieked as he exited from his side of the car. Before Boogie was able to reach the keypad to unlock the gate, Ermias enticingly grasps onto her forearm and caresses her respectfully at the waist.

"See, there you go again tryin' leave and shit without saying bye." he voiced.

Boogie said nothing in response, only staring at him. Ermias sighs, "Okay, listen, I wouldn't lie to you, alright? I know a nigga been a fuck up lat—"

"I know... Ermias." Boogie said, nodding. She continued, "I really enjoyed myself tonight, but I have to get inside or else I'm going to hear an earful from Mrs. Fuentes." she smiled gently, placing her palm between Ermias' chest.

"Goodnight, my love." she said kissing Ermias on the cheek. Boogie strolled along away without saying another word. Ermias kept an eye out until Boogie became just a silhouette, disappearing up the driveway behind the brick wall.

CONFUSED WAS AN UNDERSTATEMENT TO DESCRIBE how Boogie was currently feeling right now. The past twenty-four hours wasn't anything she was expecting nor what she was anticipating. She approached the front door feeling exhausted as if she hadn't slept in days— struggling to insert her key into the doorknob.

The distant sound of Ermias' car revving signaled that he was soon departing from in front of the gate. Boogie eventually stumbled inside, closing the door behind herself. It was fairly quiet— quieter than usual. She began formulating the notion that Mrs. Fuentes left home for the rest of the evening and her father not being back from his business trip. She had the entire house to herself.

The last thing on her mind for the night was climbing twenty steps of stairs to her bedroom, so she located herself at the dining room table for a rest from her forever-feeling walk up the driveway. She placed her newly framed photo upon the table soon removing her jacket from her tired shoulders. After the long wait, she freely fell into the sumptuous and plush chair.

She didn't wait a second before lying her head down on the tabletop with her upper bicep improvised as a pillow to keep her slightly upright. In her right hand, the photo that brought back beautiful memories or her and Ermias.

She sighed, "What am I going to do with you, Ermias?" she mumbled to herself in a near silence.

She traced her young face with her index finger before gradually falling asleep. Time eased by reasonably quick, feeling more like seconds, with Boogie abruptly awakened from sleep to the nightmare she forever feared.

Gunshots.

i apologize in advance for this...
let the heat began.