𝟏𝟐.𝟓 | 𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓'𝐒 𝐃𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐈𝐒 𝐃𝐎𝐍𝐄

BOOGIE WAS STILL, NOT moving a single inch. With her entire body sunken into the lobby chair, her foot shook uncontrollably along the dingy, stained carpet. The clinic was fairly empty and completely quiet which allowed Boogie to become one with her thoughts. The disarray of her emotions made her sick— physically, mentally, and psychologically. For the first time, she was tired. Tired of everything.

Sleep deprivation displayed on her face, specifically underneath her eyes. The entrance side door of the receptionist desk opened in a swift motion causing Boogie's rapid-beating heart to drop in the pit of her stomach. The creaking of the old door gave her goosebumps.

"London?" the gynecologist, dressed in olive green scrubs, called out with a clipboard in hand. Once again, Boogie was glued to the lobby chair. The gynecologist overlooked Boogie and Cassie while scanning a couple nearest to the front exit to see their reaction to the name of the next available patient. A small glance from Cassie appeared in Boogie's direction, seeing her hands gripped tightly along the handles of her chair. Boogie's facial expression read trauma.

Once again, here she was.

"Hey, look at me." Cassie softly spoke, turning Boogie's face in her direction with her palm. "If this isn't what you w—"

Cassie was interrupted, "No, there is no ifs. I'm doing this." said Boogie, emphasizing heavily.

"London?" The gynecologist asked once more as her eyes reverted to Boogie. Without any seconds thoughts, Boogie stood to her feet leaving Cassie astonished and confused with words. She was greeted with a good afternoon and a closed-mouth smile from the gynecologist as she stepped through the side door, soon followed with the clipboard held closely to her chest.

The gynecologist guided Boogie down the hallway to an empty room labeled with the number four above the door. "You may have a seat in here and the doctor will be with you shortly." she said while opening the door, motioning for Boogie to enter.

Boogie didn't say anything in response. She hesitantly proceeded inside by her lonesome where she seated herself along the examination table in silence. She caressed her stomach with ease to soon find herself gently rocking from side to side, quietly singing a melodic tune that she remembers as a child— her eyes closed. The sudden, delicate movements of her lower abdomen eased her. She hadn't felt the baby squirm an inch in days, so to experience this such moment was breathtaking.

"You must hear mama if you're moving like that." said Boogie with a light chuckle. She continued, "I had a dream about you last night... and your father. We had just come home from the hospital and you were sleeping in your father's arms. He was so in love with you... he had this look in his eyes—"

Boogie continued to relive last night's moment before she was interrupted by the opening of the door. A Hispanic well-groomed male gynecologist presented himself with a grin. His white coat complimented his surgical scrubs to almost perfection.

"Good afternoon, Ms. London. My name is Dr. Rodriguez and I will be assisting you in today's surgery." He continued, "How are you feeling today?"

Boogie shrugged her shoulders, "I guess I'm okay."

"I suppose okay can be good." said Dr. Rodriguez, nodding his head. He quickly glanced at his clipboard while taking a seat on a stool nearby. "How far along are you, Ms. London?"

"Four and half months." she answered.

Dr. Rodriguez nodded his head as he analyzed the proper information before him. "Yes, ma'am, you are." He continued, "Okay, so, today you are here for a pregnancy termination and like I said previously, I will be assisting you in this surgery. I'm going to give you a little privacy for a moment and step out while you put on this gown and lie down along the table."