Chapter 3. Rainbow Steve's POV

I walked to the library to check out a few books before I head home. The day was pretty slow, as usual. I saw Mr. Krux sitting at his desk. He looked up from the computer and waved, smiling. I tried to smile and wave back and hurried amongst the shelves of books. I searched the shelves for some interesting books, and maybe a few math or history books to catch up on. And this one book caught my eye. History of non-steves, it said. I grabbed it and took a look inside.

The first page had a picture of a scientist. She looked really young for a scientist, I thought. I read the paragraph under the picture. 

Ms. Winter North, it read, the Light Alex has left on a journey with another scientist, Mr. Gray Shadowman, a Dark Steve, to a new discovered island. They've been writing back to the News Team to let them know how it's going. They have 2 weeks to discover this island. 

I shut the book and continued along the isle with it in my arms. I grabbed a few math books and set them on Mr. Krux's desk. The Time Steve smiled at my finds and opened them one by one to stamp and scan them.

"Having a good day, Mr. Rainbow Steve," he asked.

"Yes sir, Mr. Krux," I replied.

"I like having you come on down to the library, these days," he said, "No one really comes to check out books as much as you do. Studying for math and history I see?"

"Yes," I said,

"It's good that you study," he said typing on the computer a bit, "You never know what to expect in school."

"That's true," I muttered.

"Well, there you are," Mr. Krux shoved the stack of books toward me, "All set. Have a good day, Mr. Rainbow Steve."

"You too, Mr. Krux," I said, grabbing my books I headed to the door and quickly to the bus stop.

I boarded the bus just in time, it was about to leave.

"Just barely," Mr. Creek said, "Went to the library again?"

I nodded. "Yes, I need to study for math and history."

"True that," Mr. Creek smiled, "You always want to be ready for class, you know."

I sat in the front, as always, just as the bus started moving. I pulled out the book I started reading in the library and opened it, continuing where I left off.  

Ms. Winter just wrote back on one of her discoveries. She says she found a town almost like ours, with some type of creature population. She says they look almost like us, except with black, brown, blonde, or white hair like us. Some look old or young, there were even kids. Ms. Winter said she walked right into the town, alone. Mr. Gray stayed behind. Ms. Winter said they all stopped and stared at her. After a while, she said, a tall man walked right up to her and asked her if she was new. Ms. Winter replied saying she wasn't new, nor old. She was just exploring and came upon the creatures'  town. The man replied saying he will show Ms. Winter around for her. The man introduced himself as Granade Cheesehug. He even introduced his son, Sabre Cheesehug. Ms. Winter lived with them for so long, she said she wouldn't leave. She asked what creatures the man was. The man replied saying he was a human, just like her. Ms. Winter too replied saying she was human as well, just a type of Alex. The man seemed confused. But the boy, Sabre Cheesehug thought it was interesting. Ms. Winter said that the boy wanted to come thrive with the Steves and Alexes, but Granade shook his head and said maybe. Ms. Winter learned how to adapt to the humans' civilization and soon forgot her own, now she is lost and our experts can't find her.

The bus came to a stop. Rainbow Steve scrambled to close the book and shove it in his backpack. He stood up and, again, I was shoved back into my seat. Red was smirking at me.

"Red," Mr. Creek said. "Behave yourself. Rainbow Steve got up before you."

Red rolled his eyes. "Yes, Mr. Creek." And he hurried off the bus.

I waited for the others to get off as well, then I hurried off and waved to Mr. Creek. He waved back and drove away. Some of the other high schoolers stuck their head out the window, pointed and laughted or stuck out their tongues at me. I tried to egg or their mocking, but it was hard. I hurried off down the sidewalk a little ways from Earth, the Elemental Steve. I soon spotted my house. I walked up to the gate and unlocked it. I closed it behind me and hurried inside. 

"Rainbow Steve," I heard my father from the other room. He came in and scratched his beard. "I heard you still didn't have good grades?"

I lowered my head and threw my backpack onto the couch next to me. "Yes. I just can't seem to get anything right!"

"My boy," My father said. "You need to get those grades up if you want to go to college anytime soon."

"I know." I replied.

"Now," My father said, looking at the ceiling. "I should get some dinner a cooking. What do you think? Cereal, or toast?"

"Dad," I said. "That's breakfast." 

"Right," My father said, walking into the kitchen.

He was always forgetful. Luckily, I didn't get that from him, or my mother.

How I missed my mother. I was only a child when they broke up. My father just couldn't come around to admit why.

"How about some pasta?" My father called.

"Sounds good," I called back.

"I'll get it started," he said. "Then turn on some football, huh?"

"Sure." I said, happily. Football always cheers me up. But tomorrow, I wouldn't let my father down. I will get those grades up!