Chapter 16. Rainbow Steve's PoV

I sat in my room, alone. I didn't want to talk to my dad, I was still upset with him about what he said last week. I felt bad; I hadn't talked to Sabre all day and right before spring break started! I had to tell him, I can't hide the truth any longer. But my dad grounded me from my flip-phone, and if I do a letter, it would take a bit before Sabre receives it. Of course, the mailman is a Yellow Steve, so, I suppose I can send a letter to him. I pulled out a sheet of paper and a pencil, a freshly sharpened one, too.

Dear Sabre, I wrote. I'm sorry I can't text you, my dad grounded me from my phone. I apologize for not talking to you last week, I was really upset. The reason is that- I might be homeschooled. My dad is saying that unless I get better grades, I will be forced to be homeschooled and I won't be able to go back to school with you. I'm in huge trouble, and to think Void and his gang was already a problem. -Rainbow Steve

I finished writing my letter and folded it up before setting it in an envelope. I went out the door, my dad on a phone call- thankfully distracted- and I set the letter in the mailbox. I returned, my dad still on the phone, and back to my room. I sat on my bed with my head on my pillow. I hoped Sabre would get the letter, it was really important that he gets it.

"Rainbow Steve!" I heard my dad call. My stomach dropped with anxiety as I got back up to go see him. I stood in front of him, refusing to look up at him.

My dad sighed. "Your mother just called."

I gazed up at him, surprised. "Mom? But- didn't you-?"

"Yes," My dad said, quickly. "I still don't understand why, but she said it's about time I told you the truth."

I blinked back at him, waiting for him to speak. He was hesitant, I could tell. I was guessing it was about my mom, but I couldn't quite tell yet. 

"It's about how we broke up," he began. "We have been hiding the truth for a while now, and it's about time I told you what happened."

We sat down on the couch together, my dad's gaze was distant but yet full of grief and determination. I didn't understand it, but it was hard to see.

"We- didn't get into a fight," my dad simply said. "We didn't choose to break up, we were forced to."

"What?" I asked. "Why?"

"She's a Light Alex," my dad replied. "But we didn't realize there was a law between Lights and Rainbows. We are supposed to stay with our own type, for complicated reasons, therefore we weren't allowed to be together. She moved, somewhere that I should not mention. Her memories have been getting weak, so she said that that was her last call. Though- she said she's getting married to someone else.

"Anyways, she wanted me to tell you something that we had been hiding from you for quite a long time."

I waited patiently to hear his next few words. This was coming from my mom- or, at least, through my dad- it was important that I heard this.

"It's-"

"It's your real name; Your name is Tate."

"And your mother- She's getting married to-"

"Grenade Cheesehug, Sabre Cheesehug's father."