11. chicken enchilada soup

Friday September 20th

"Where were you at yesterday?" Shan sat next to me at the lunch table, speaking low enough for only me to hear.

I froze a little, enough for her to notice and raise her eyebrow in question. "What do you mean?"

"Really?" The bored look she gave told me to drop the act. "Around four you just disappeared and then you were back at like eight thirty. I asked mom and she said something about a project."

Thank god for Aisha. "Oh yeah. Carly, Tate, and I hung out for a while. We were splitting up yearbook events." My lie wasn't the best but apparently it was good enough to hold her back from more questions.

I would say that I wish that's what I was doing last night, but to be honest, the diner was so much fun! Well until the end, because then it just got awkward.

Since it was my first day Liv was there to train me. But to be honest there wasn't much to teach me. My buddy, aka Cade, and I would split the taken tables in half so we each got an even amount of work. From there I took orders, gave them to the kitchen, and gave the food.

And as much as I hated human interaction, I was surprisingly good at people skills.

I got a break at six, for fifteen minutes, and then was back at it until eight.

I was made aware that since I was a supposed natural at it, that yesterday was pretty much the extent of my training.

Everything was fine and dandy until both Cade and I were free to go.

"I'm fine. They'll be here in a half hour." Chic gave me a questioning look. We have been going back and forth about how Aisha and Jim would be late to pick me up. Stupid crappy car.

She stepped towards the door. "You sure?"

I gave her a nod and stubbornly she went back inside with Liv to man the diner until it closed.

The door opened again and Cade passed, head down, eyes trained on his phone. His car sat in front of me, a couple spaces left of the diner entrance.

He didn't notice me until he opened the rear door and pulled out a sweatshirt.

The look of him being conflicted was obvious across his features. After a second of staring at me he gave in. "Do you need a ride?"

The sweatshirt was pulled over the yellow shirt, but he maintained eye contact.

"I'm fine. I'm just waiting for my parents." A confused look washed over his features, I took a guess that it's because he knows I have a car. "My car's getting fixed."

His head nods in understanding. "I'm going to a friends close to where you live. It's not a big deal for me to drop you off."

He knows where I live?

Great.

"Colin told me which house is yours." His explanation calmed me a little, but then again, wouldn't you at least try to pretend you don't know that information.