18. late night booty call

Saturday October 11th

Cade had pretty much immediately agreed to Chics request. I took a bit more convincing. But Chic said the words "$250" and I couldn't not take the chance.

But eventually our shifts ended and we had gone home to do whatever daunting tasks were waiting inside the front door.

My happened to be in the shape of a short Asian-American girl named Shan.

She had put on her Real Housewives get up once again, which consisted of silk pajamas, fluffy bunny slippers, and a frilly pink robe. All completed by the champagne glass in her hands that was filled with apple juice.

"Why are you getting home so late?"

"What do you mean?" Luckily I had put on a sweatshirt over my uniform when I got into the car.

Shan tried to elegantly descend the stairs but the illusion was tainted when her bunny slippers squeaked with every step.

"Well curfew is 10 and it is 11, Jesse. Mind explaining to me where you were?"

I paid no mind to the 'interrogation' Shan was trying and made my way upstairs. I didn't let my guard down though, as I could hear the squeak of Shans slippers following me.

"If you really must know Shan, I was working on my psych project at the library."

"It's 100° out. Why're you in a sweatshirt?"

"The library likes to use all their money in their air conditioning."

Shan didn't look impressed but I have her a loving smile and slammed my door in her face, locking it. I could hear the gasp that she let out and then the rapid squeaks that signaled to me that she was running. Running to our bathroom.

Just as she was pulling the door open I slammed into it and twisted the lock, and just to make sure she couldn't get into my room, I made sure my window was locked as well.

"Goodnight, don't let the bed bugs bite!" I sung through the door, a pound on the wood was her response complete with a slam.

—————

Whoever said counting sheep was supposed to help you fall asleep is sadly mistaken. Because I've counted 473 sheep and I never want to say another number ever again.

The digital clock next me told me that it was 2:17am and my brain told me that sleep was not in my schedule.

Which gave me a lot of time to overthink, which is really not healthy. It also gave me the ability to see that someone texted me. At almost 2:30am. What is wrong with people.

What I expected to be a text from Colin, Shan, or even Matt was not that. It was a text from Cade.

Carrie Brown
2:19am
"U awake?"

"Pls tell me this isn't
what I think this is"

"?"
"Oh"
"No"
"Just wanted to see if
you'd be up for a late night
shift at the diner?"