14. constellations

Saturday October 4th

It had been a week filled with annoying teachers and activities. Good thing is that it's Saturday.

Except this Saturday I didn't have to work. Chic had the diner closed today to instal a new oven or something. Which meant I was left by myself to find something to do.

Luckily, Matt wasn't doing anything and we were able to meet up for dinner. Well that was until I got a call from him where he frantically apologized and mentioned something about his friend Nolan.

The call only lasted for about forty-five seconds, thirty of those being an apology, and the other fifteen were him saying something about his friend and some girl named Brice.

So I decided it was best not to question him right now and just let him deal with that.

There was no way I was going to eat all alone and have everyone pity me, them thinking I got stood up. Which I guess I kind of did.

But if none of that had happened I wouldn't have found myself in my current situation, standing in between Cade and a girl who had just doused me in a drink.

But let me back up a little...

I payed for my drink and headed towards the doors. I guess I could just watch criminal minds when I get home. I mean the members of the Behavior Analysis Unit never hurt me... well kind of... a few times... but it was scripted so how were they supposed to apologize?

Some girl screaming is what brought my attention from the floor to the other side of the restaurant.

"You're denying me?!" The girl was definitely young, she couldn't be too much older than me.

I was about to just walk out the doors and let the girl scream. But then I heard the response. "I'm sorry, but I have a girlfriend." The guy was hidden from sight but the voice... it had to be him. The girl must have made a expression or said something because soon he was speaking again. "She's on her way now, if you really want to wait." No it was definitely him.

"Your made up girlfriend isn't going to come." The girl held out her hand, for what I'm assuming is so he would hand her his phone.

"I'm not interested in taking your number or giving you mine." The girls face said it all. She was getting more and more frustrated with the situation and soon enough someone would be asked to leave the restaurant.

The internal annoying twelve year old in me wanted to start chanting 'fight! Fight! Fight!' All while pumping my fist in the air but I stopped myself.

Now you are probably asking 'Jesse, why do you care. Get a move on.' But here's the thing, I'm ninety-five percent sure that's Cade Butlers voice, and I know if I don't step in, somehow karma is going to find a sick way to get back at me.

And that thinking is how I find myself walking over to the table.

I ignore the girls stare at me, and face the boy who is in fact none other than Cade Butler.

"Hey, sorry I'm late." My back is to the girl which allows me to give Cade a look telling him that if he doesn't want to cause a bigger scene to follow my lead.

His face contorts into a huge smile, our eyes stay locked as he stands up. "Hey babe." Before I can fully comprehend what's going on Cade loops his arms around my waist, pulling me into a hug.

Luckily I was faced away from the girl when he called me 'babe' because I'm pretty sure a slightly revolted look crossed my face.

But I'll tell you right now, that being in Cade's embrace is not something I expected to be happening. But I'll tell you something else, I could stand here forever. And that's what made me space out for a second.